“Annual holiday party”
Review of Mario's Italian Restaurant - CLOSED

Mario's Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: I-590
Transit: RTS Bus #7, within 400 feet
Description: Experience a true taste of Italy tonight. Voted Rochester's best Italian Restaurant and Rochester's best brunch. At Mario's you are not just a customer, you are our special guest.
“Annual holiday party”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

My company has there party here every year and it's great. The food is always hot and great...appetizers are good also. Staff is very friendly and prompt always can be found if you need something that's not in your reach. Look forward to it.

Tel Aviv
“Italian and Original”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Great selections - every one had something they never had before and it was all good. A very sophisticated palate - worthy of a visit even if it isn't in your neighborhood.

Visited November 2013
Irondequoit, New York
“Think the waitress pulled a fast one...”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We just came home from an evening birthday celebration and I think the waitress pulled a fast one on us. We were a party of 10, we didn't plan on so many but we were seated within minutes of our request at 7pm. We weren't told of any specials (that I heard) but were told of shortages of one of the menu items. We were also told there were no separate checks allowed. Not the first time restaurant that says this so no problem. Food was great, proportions perfect, the wait was a tad long but there was a special event going on in the back room and we were all having a good time (the Happy Hour here is fantastic) so again, no problem.

The check comes, it goes around the table with people putting in their cash or charge amounts. It ends at me - I am the accountant - I add the tip at 20% to the bill, count the cash and charges and we are right on! Hand the folder to the waitress and I feel good - great evening and no one stiffed on the bill. I had even calculated it on the back of the receipt to be sure (like I said - I'm an accountant). My friend said if there was any problem to see him but I assured him we were fine. I think that opened the door...

Imagine my horror when she comes back and says she only got a $13 tip. Where the heck did that other $40 go??? He gave over his charge card and told her to ring up a tip. I recounted and sure enough it was $40 less than what was there when I handed it to her. Can't prove any of this, she punched out and was gone a few minutes later, but I will warn anyone to make sure you have someone else also count your cash &/or have the waitress count it before you.

I would hate this to be anything besides the work of one sneaky waitress (and she seemed so nice!!) We had such such a nice evening there and I want to go back but I am seething right now. I will be sure to either have the waitress watch me count the money in front of her, or have someone else count it too. Fair warning to anyone else...

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Daniebear
Anthony D, Owner at Mario's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
I am happy to read that you and your guests enjoyed the food and service. Our server who waited on your table has been with us for many years and we have never had an issue like this before. Although no one can know for certain what happened, I would like to think there is some other explanation. We hope to see you back soon.
Sodus, New York
“Over the top Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We celebrated a friend's birthday with Sunday brunch at Mario's and from the minute our group of 10 walked through the door everything we experienced was First Class. We were ushered to a small private room with a greenhouse-type glass roof that let in some very welcome November sunshine. Our group had a server dedicated to our event, and she and others quickly and efficiently took our beverage orders. The Bloody Mary and Mimosa cocktails were perfectly prepared.
Another member of Mario's staff escorted us to the banquet room where the brunch was being served and all I can say when we walked in is WOW! The presentation of the food was a feast for the eyes and the brunch choices were so numerous it took a couple of trips around the room just to see what was on each table. We were encouraged to take as many trips to the buffet as we wanted and to be sure to pick up a new plate each time we went through the buffet.
With my sweet tooth, the towering chocolate fountain surrounded by all kinds of fresh fruit for dipping immediately caught my eye and a huge, fresh, sweet strawberry dipped in chocolate was the first thing to hit my plate. The variety of appetizer-type selections was overwhelming. I opted to begin with a crab-jalapeno spread served with crostini. Then there were the marinated crisp green beans sprinkled with cheese, tiers of platters filled with salads of grains, wild rice and myriad vegetables. The many varieties of antipasto were stunning. Marinated mussels were some of the best I've ever had.
The brunch includes several stations manned by chefs in crisp white jackets and toques. They'll provide a custom omelette with more fillings than you can imagine, made-to-order Belgian waffles topped with your favorites, a meat carving station that this week featured roast beef, lamb, and an Italian stuffed-pork roast. Even though I'm not much of a meat-eater it was easy to appreciate the quality of all of the offerings at the carving station.
One of my favorites was broiled Atlantic salmon served with savory lentils. They offered Wasabi sauce on the side and it was an perfect addition to the salmon. Wandering around the room I found bow-tie pasta with vodka-blush sauce that was wonderful. There was pasta with calamari, pasta with sausage, tortellini with alfredo sauce, luscious looking slices of homemade pizzas, crepes, salads and more salads, roasted chicken, eggs benedict, balsamic grilled vegetables...whew!
Best of all was the table of every kind of sweet dessert that anyone could want...from mini-cream puffs to baklava to a half-dozen different kinds of canoli, chocolate confections, and on and on. Combined with their selection of fresh fruit it was a dessert table that dreams are made of.
This is not your average buffet by any means! Food is freshly prepared and meticulously tended to by the staff. There are selections for all dietary requirements...from vegetarians to serious carnivores, and even folks who have to watch their cholesterol. Mario's staff is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient, professional, and are genuinely interested in making your experience a memorable one. Two Thumbs Up for Mario's Sunday Brunch! We'll be back, for sure!
You can see some photos of their brunch and a list of menu items at http://www.mariosit.com/sundaybrunch_photogallery.asp

• Visited November 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Awesome”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Went to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. We are vegetarians & frankly didn't see anything on the menu suitable for us. So we asked the waitress what could we get to eat here. She had no idea but she brought the chef to our table , who suggested he could make something for us which was vegetarian . So we had a great dinner. The chef then stopped by asking us about the dinner.
For dessert , the waitress brought this large plate with all different cakes, pastries they were serving that night , so we could choose from the lot. Highlight of the evening ,was my daughter's dessert came with a sparkler lit up.
Portions are large , had to doggy bag.

• Visited September 2013