“Hmmm...not as good tonight as in the past”

Brick Wood Fired Pizza and Pasta
Ranked #247 of 1,363 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We visited Brick Fired Pizza and Pasta for dinner tonight, with average to slightly-disappointing results. It was a bit "off" from our previous visits, when we have been delighted with everything about the place.

The bread and salad are both nice touches, although the salad is 100% iceberg, with a few cherry tomatoes, croutons, and peppers. Not very imaginative, but definitely sufficient. No complaints here. The service tonight, however, was not up to its regular standard for this place. Our waitress was very pleasant, and she got everything right. But there was a noticeable wait between EVERY appearance, including beverage service, placing our dinner orders, getting drink refills, getting our check, and even getting our change from our check. None of these waits was obnoxiously long, but every one was much longer then last time. Perhaps she just had too many tables to cover? Anyway, it wasn't good, but it wasn't horrible. Just not up to their standards.

My dinner was eggplant Parmesan, which (once again) wasn't bad, but it was far from memorable either. The eggplant was battered and served on top of a choice of pasta, (I selected bowtie), but I found the eggplant to be cooked into a bit of a soggy mass. Most of the time I couldn't tell if I was eating the eggplant, or just the cheese. I do have rather high standards on this dish, and this version didn't come up to it. It tasted OK, but not anything to get excited about.

In summary, next time I go there I think I'll stick to pizza, which they do extremely well. Hopefully the waitress has a little more help next time as well. I will go back, though, because I've enjoyed it in past visits.

1  Thank Larry W

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Service is decent, food is amazing! Pizza is great, good variety. Try the bbq & buffalo..yum! Love the decor...modern & hip! Live acoustic music would be a plus. We will be back!!!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Nice atmosphere. Food was good. Nice bartender. Not much more to say. I would recommend for sure and come back again.

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful staff, great menu, fun atmosphere, very attentive service. I'm telling everybody about this place good job!!! The owner and manager should be proud of this operation.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Went for dinner on a Sunday night, it was almost full but didn't have to wait for a table. The hostess was extremely friendly. The waitress came over immediately for drink orders. We ordered the one Finger Lakes wine they had on the menu--Lamoreaux Landing's semi-dry Riesling. Local wines are important to us, so we were pleased they had one. They do serve a much larger assortment of local beers from Rohrbach's, 3 Heads, and Naked Dove.

Wine was delivered quickly, and orders taken. A family-style salad (just iceburg and tomatoes, but delicious dressing!!) and foccacia with marinara dipping sauce were put on our table. Pizzas came out quickly, less than 10 minutes from ordering. My White Delight pizza was great--garlic base with mozzarella, broccoli, onions and sweet sausage. My husband's chicken bacon ranch was good, as well.

We really enjoyed our meal, and they almost earned 5 stars, but our waitress held them back. She was efficient but not very friendly, and brought our check without ever asking if we wanted dessert. We did, and went elsewhere for it since she couldn't be bothered to offer it to us!