“Impressed”
Review of Char

Char
Reserve with OpenTable
Char is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,366 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were looking forward to trying Char as we had eaten a couple of times when it was The Grill @ Strathallan,the hotel has had a fabulous make over and so has the resturant.We had a short wait before we were seated but had a nice cocktail in the busy bar area.Our wait staff (Nick & Nick ) were very pleasant knowledgeable and polite.Most of our table had steak with one having the burger and the other pasta all our meals were very good but the desserts were fabulous .The noise from the bar is loud but we didn't mind and it just added to the atmosphere ,we will defiantly be returning.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Grill was one of my favorite special occasion restaurants in town. I especially loved the creative cuisine and the extensive wine list. That's why I was so excited to try the new CHAR Steak and Lounge, to see if they kept some of the same qualities. After my first visit I have some mixed feelings. The personnel seem to have been chosen more for their look than their proficiencies. The ambiance is very trendy (and noisy), unfortunately we were seated in an anonymous room between the ultra-modern bar and the nice sun room in the back. The food was excellent, but quite on the very expensive side, especially for Rochester. The lowest point of the night was the wine: the wine list is extensive, but they were out of 3 different wines I picked; finally they "upgraded" us to a wine which was not on the list and not on par with my initial choices. Will definitely try again to see if they will fix some of the problems, even though the hyper-trendy scene is not really my cup of tea.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Clean, very nice staff good food and vibe. Will be back later in the month. The bar is very nice and alive at night.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Country Comfort Cookbooks blog ~ Eating Across America

Typically I won't eat at the hotel restaurant but this time I deviated from my own set of rules. During the day I met a colleague who proclaimed herself as a fellow foodie and raved about the food at Char. I am glad I followed her recommendation! It’s not just good food I look for when seeking a restaurant, it’s an equally appealing ambiance. Char has both.

Executive Chef Jeremy Nuccelli is inventive and combines both textures and colors, classic and trendy foods and adds healthy ingredients to his creations.

Their wood burning grill sets there steaks apart and are served with your choice of a specialty sauces. Another rule broken .... when in a steak house order steak, NOT tonight.... instead I decided to follow my waiter’s recommendations.

I started with a ROASTED BABY BEET & BURRATA MOZZARELLA SALAD served with red quoinoa, braseola, banyuls wine-buckwheat honey vinaigrette. Proved to be a delicious combination of flavors!

My entree was a RICOTTA GNOCCHI with house made rabbit sausage, fava beans and fennel pollen. I loved the sweetness of this dish.

As long as I am revealing my set of rules.... a pastry chef or dessert made in house is a must have for me to rationalize the caloric indulgence. Char’s pastry chef impressed all with his CHOCOLATE FLOURLESS CAKE “Drizzled with a chocolate shiny glaze and served with cream cheese ice cream, and dehydrated cream cheese”.

Country Comfort Cookbooks Review ~ must try ....you will think you are in NYC!

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Food and ambiance was very good. they did a good job in the renovation and changes. hopping place on a sat night. outside spaces look great with fire pits etc. issue is with the parking - very bad signage regarding alternate street parking. EVERY car on one side of Strathallen had a ticket. valet said he did not know what the signs said. BAD FORM. You need to warn your patrons or not expect them back!