“Disappointing.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Although we love Greek food, today's lunch was not well prepared, and very disappointing. The taramousalata was so salty that we could barely eat it. The smelts were way too deep fried, with so much batter caked on that my stomach is still aching several hours later. The service was good, but unfortunately, the food was not.

Visited May 2013

Rochester, New York
“Very good Greek food, but could do better with an Open sign...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

OK, in Opa's defense, there is an Open sign facing Jefferson Rd...a very small open sign. There was only one other car in the parking lot when we arrived around noon on a Sunday. We thought it was not open yet (there were several cars around the side where the kitchen/wait staff would park). We drove by the front and read that the hours for Sunday were 11 am to 9 pm, so we went inside. We are glad we did. We tried a few standard items - Tyrokafteri (spicy feta spread), greek salad and a gyro pita with yummy lemon potatoes. The food was excellent, the service was top notch. I hope the restaurant does well, but I think it needs to be a little more inviting.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Rochester, New York
“tasty, clean and very pleasant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had heard of this new restaurant from friends with very positive reviews so a group of friends and I decided to try it out. Seven of us descended up Opa and what a pleasant visit. the location was very clean, the people were more than friendly and the food lived up to our expectations. As a group of seven we decided to order 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 2 desserts and serve family style. When we left there was still food on the table!
Every single dish was very good and what made it the most pleasant was the service. When they saw how we were sharing the food they kept bringing clean plates and silverware so it would work out well. No one hovering over you but always around to provide water, etc.
the pricing was reasonable although I did notice that their actual menu was now higher than the menu they showed on their web site.
It was not a busy Saturday night and we were placed in the back area where we could easily enjoy each other's company. In addition, separate checks was no problem and once the waiter saw how we were sharing the food he separated the costs for each person, adding the ordered drinks on the right persons bill but splitting the other food evenly.
This is a class restaurant-- in food and service. i have been to much higher class restaurants in the area where the service and atmosphere are not nearly as pleasant but much more expensive. It really was great to see and I recommend at least one visit to everyone!

Rochester NY
“Great time at Opa, authentic Greek koozina!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Our meetup group had dinner at Opa tonite. 8 of us. We had an excellent waiter. Very attentive, good demeanor, sense of humor. We ordered several appetizers to share, and then the did the same for entrees. Everything was very good! Tasted fresh, was served hot. Good flavors. We also ordered a couple of desserts to share as well.
Everyone enjoyed the variety and when one appetizer (mussels in a wonderful tomato sauce!) had too many mussels not open, they made and brought us another without us asking for it. One of the owners stopped by to check on us.
We were there for about 2.5 hours. We notice that while the place was not packed, it was steady with a stream of customers.
I highly recommend this restaurant if you want a very good mediterranean meal, good service, good prices.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
“Mmmm, mmmm, Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The restaurant atmosphere is very nice with plenty of free parking. I was in the mood for lamb, which I haven't had in many years. Although it was pricey, I ordered the lamb chops. The meal was prepared perfectly and was heaven in every bite. My husband and son equally enjoyed their dinners, and they have been back again since. I look forward to my next meal at Opa!

• Visited March 2013