“You are crazy to eat at any other Italian restaurant in western ny”
Review of Fiamma

Fiamma
Ranked #303 of 1,313 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

After traveling through Italy twice, I come to fiammas to re-live some of my favorite Italy memories. The food is absolutely perfect. I can't even say how thankful I am for fiammas. Great for date night, rainy days, holidays, and every other day. Nobody should complain about this restaurant, ever. Caprese pizza is my fav!

2  Thank jennyrae4295

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Thanks To our coach And his secret advisors we discover this fantastic place. Not sure That americans really know authentic italian food but here they Will eat Just like an important trattoria in italy, pizzas week Just like in Naples And seafood dishes just like Salerno Amalfi coast, i really Hope i Can come Back here one day

2  Thank Alessandro D
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Went here with family during a recent visit to Rochester, NY. Walking into this small restaurant I was pretty underwhelmed and more than a little disappointed. Before we left, I knew I would be back. And two nights later I was! Let me be clear, this is not a place to go for an upscale experience. Rather, it's an immensely cozy spot for very good Italian with a “no- frills-but-lots-of-character” vibe. The tables are all worn, the chairs mismatched, some a little lopsided, and the napkins are little more than large worn wash cloths. But the service is warm, welcoming and attentive, and the food is simple and really very good. The meal begins with complimentary fresh Italian bread and olive oil.Unlike many, if not most of the Italian spots I have tried in that neck of the woods, everything isn’t covered with what seems to be the Rochester area’s customary avalanche of mozzarella cheese. Instead, portions, while oversized for sure, are made with fresh ingredients with an emphasis on simple, delicious presentations without the need to cover it all with smoke and mirrors. The main attraction in the kitchen is what their website describes as “the first truly authentic Neapolitan Wood burning pizza oven in Monroe County.” The oven reportedly maintains an internal temperature of 1000 degrees, producing thin crust pizzas with inviting crispy charred dough. I myself didn’t try the pizza, opting instead to ordered the same entre on both of my visits (couldn’t help it), the “La tagliata alla griglia”; which is described as skirt steak marinated in balsamic vinaigrette, garlic, rosemary, grilled and served over masculine and topped with shaved parmigiano. A very large portion of tender meat that carried that delicious chard flavor from the wood burning oven. Wonderfully satisfying, and at only $18 it is one of the most expensive items on the menu. My brother had the special pizza on that day which, like all their pizzas, was served as an individual pie with its own pizza cutter on the side. I didn’t taste it, but when we returned 2 days later, he again went for the pizza special. Almost everybody else in our party of 7 ordered what we were told is their most popular dish; Pollo capriccioso. What is described as pan fried chicken cutlets, is actually two absolutely ginormous chicken breasts that are topped with fresh diced tomatoes and a less than overwhelming amount of smoked basil mozzarella, with a balsamic glaze and set atop a bed of arugula. Any attempt to convey just how large these two pieces of chicken are will only be seen as total exaggeration. Best to see (and taste) for yourself. The remainder of the menu consists of an assortment of pastas, antipasto, meats/chicken/seafood, and sandwiches, and a simple wine list. Overall, a very nice neighborhood spot for good Italian eats. Come once, and run the risk of becoming a regular.

2  Thank GreekGuy101
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

We went for our 1st time tonight and being a true Italian who eats authentic food and who has been to Italy, including Sicily old country where our family is, the food is ok.
We started w the fried platter. It had arancini, potato croquette, a fried dough, and fried pasta. The only one I could eat was the croquette. The arancini was missing salt and was mushy. The fried dough i couldn't cut with a knife and the fried pasta was gross. The server was super nice but the time for food to come out took forever. So as we waited I looked around. The tables and chairs do not match and look very worn. It seemed very dark inside and we sat near the pizza oven where the owner was. He kept talking so loud to the staff it was distracting. Just did not get that Italian cafe feel. The pizza was next and was decent. I loved the sauce, which I am a sauce snot. The pizza tasted good but wish there was more of a crunch to it and wish it was thinner. Mine seemed a little doughy. For 2 sodas, app, and 2 pizzas = $50. We may return again.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This place make the best pizza in Rochester, the service is ok. If you bring a baby or small child be careful, the child seat they give you looks like it's from the 1800's. But the pizza is so good its worth the risk!

2  Thank Joe10977