“Excellent Authentic Italian Style Pizza”
Review of Fiamma

Fiamma
Ranked #179 of 1,443 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I saw this restaurant reviewed in The City Newspaper as one of Rochester's top wood-fired pizza restaurants and knew I had to try it since I love a homemade, thin crust authentic pizza with traditional fresh toppings. Fiamma's doesn't disappoint. Four of us went in the early summer and all loved our appetizers and pizza choices. My husband and I went back tonight and ordered pizzas and one entree to share. Again, excellent cuisine, friendly service, homey decor. We will definitely return and bring our family and friends. Thank you for bringing authentic Italian pizza to Rochester!

1  Thank cindywait

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I truly had the worst restaurant experience I've ever had. EVER. So much so, that I actually was anxious to have Internet access to write this review. I'd heard wonderful things about this place from a friend. That the food was excellent, and well, I am sure it could have been. We ordered an app and pizza to share. We openly admitted that we forgot to ask for the pancetta extra crispy. When our pizza arrived 1/2 the pancetta was cooked to perfection the other practically raw. When we asked our server if she could ask the chef to cook the pizza a minute longer she literally started to tremble. Seriously, tremble? She was speechless. She looked over her shoulders, around the restaurant and very reluctantly took the plate back towards the open kitchen. It was clear that the chef was refusing. There were no accommodations made, no recommendations on how we could have resolved the issue. I would have even been willing to buy a whole new pizza if the chef would have just worked with us. But he wouldn't. He utterly refused. Said it was his kitchen and this is how it was meant to be cooked. I wasn't trying to insult him, I was just asking for how I prefer to each my pizza. Thinking maybe if I went up to him and nicely asked for the less cooked part of the pizza to be put into the oven a minute longer we'd be able to reach a compromise. He was nasty, rude and mean to me. I even tried to pull out my Italian roots, asked him where he was from in Italy. Tried to build some rapport to get what I wanted. As he told me where he was from I instantly knew I was in trouble. My family is from the neighboring city. He told me I had no knowledge or understanding of how pizza is supposed to be cooked. Authentic pizza. That's when he set me off. My family has lived and traveled Italy more times than I can count. I know EXACTLY how pizza is made and cooked. I know exactly what it means to put a pizza back into a wood burning oven. His ego, his attitude and he's employees fear was appalling. If I wasn't with a friend, I would have walked on my bill, but instead I have decided to share my experience here in the virtual world. I wish him success with his business, but he wont get a single penny of my hard earned money again. I'm one little customer, and I'm sure he doesn't even care about my review, but in good conscience I had to post it. Lesson learned, if you want to eat here, be sure to get your order exactly perfect, otherwise the chef / owner will push you right out the door.

Sincerely, a disgusted and angry customer...
Now on to (the next website to continue posting and) sharing my negative experience with every person I know because this is one of those times that I just wont 'let it slide.'

3  Thank MyLaVitaBella
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We came on a Saturday night at 6:30 and were immediately seated.. We started with a bottle of Lambrusco, which was very tasty. We had the eggplant Stromboli for an appetizer, which was delicious. Three of us had the wood fired pizza, margherita, Regina margherita, and spicy salami. All 3 were outstanding. Our fourth diner had the grilled chicken cutlets which she absolutely loved. We finished with some hazelnut gelato and tiramisu for dessert, with one of us getting an espresso. What a nice finish! We will be back soon! Great place in Gates!

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Went here for the first time last night with a large group and had an outstanding evening! The food was delicious and service was excellent. The atmosphere was so nice and someone even said "can you even believe we are sitting in a small strip plaza and it is this good," . Add this to you list of must try in Rochester!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

What a great place. We highly recommend it, and can't believe there aren't more reviews of this wonderful restaurant. My wife and I were staying at a nearby hotel recently and went for a long walk along the Erie Canal. We decided to take our chances on finding a good place to eat and kept on walking. How fortunate we were to find this place tucked away in an unattractive small strip mall. Inside was a different story. There is a kind of nice rustic chic feel to the place. You can see the brick oven from the dining area, and everyone makes you feel welcome without being overbearing.

We opted for pizza and salad. The pear salad was big and very tasty. We would preferred the salad dressing on the side, and should have asked for it that way. It was a little too much as it was. The pizza was some of the best, most authentic pizza we have had in the states. We visited Italy a month ago and we found Fiamma's pizza very similar to the best we had there. The chef is evidently from southern Italy. The food and drinks are a little pricey, but definitely worth it.