“Blast off! Sort of... (Ray & Sylvia)”

Strasenburgh Planetarium
Ranked #28 of 150 things to do in Rochester
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

This planetarium is very clean, offers a lot of free parking, boasts some nifty movies with state of the art special effects, but we felt that their adherence to the truth in advertising principle was grossly lacking. To be clear, so you don't make the same mistake we did, although the marquees poster over the entrance boasts, "Blast off with us into the galaxy!" you do not--I repeat DO NOT--actually leave planet earth. For 18 bucks, we thought we had stumbled onto the travel deal of the millennium. Heck, 2 round trips to Vegas are 700 bucks! When we first arrived with our suitcases, I asked the tour guide whether there was a baggage fee. He looked at me like I was from Mars (which, incidentally, was where we figured our layover would be.) What a let down. If you want to sit in some comfortable seats and see some nifty make believe stars, this is your place. But you won't be adding any frequent flyer miles to the credit card.

3  Thank FordKels
"membership"
"adults"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 4, 2013

One of the few original star projectors left. The star shows are great as are the the IMAX films. We have been members for the past 8 years.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have enjoyed the programs at the planetarium since I was a teenager, years ago. Now we are taking our grandchildren to the planetarium. The 3 and 4 year olds were sitting on the edge of their seat during Fly me to the Moon. The teenagers liked the NASA program and the other programs as well. We still enjoy the laser shows as well. Something for everyone. Then you can stop next door to the Science Museum to finish out the day.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Held the attention of the kids and had a great experience. The announcer was very knowledgeable and was enthusiastic about sharing his knowledge.

1  Thank teresarn2000
See more reviews
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I purchased tickets to the Holiday Laser light show at the planetarium for my husband and I. The planetarium is very old and kind of run down. The light show was ultimately boring, and it seemed very old. Many of the laser projections had nothing to do with the music or the background pictures. Luckily the tickets were cheap so it wasn't a loss.

1  Thank Lizabeth A