“Nice new find”

Victoire
Ranked #92 of 1,266 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Belgian, Bar, European, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Rochester
“Nice new find”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stopped here for a bite to eat around 7 on a Thursday night. We got seated for dinner right away. I got a great vibe walking up to the place, and even though I thought it was a little chilly to eat outside a couple people were by the fireplace and it looked very cozy. Great location. I loved the longer wooden tables and benches. We got seated in a side room at a smaller table. Possibly one of the only places I have been where there are televisions that are not intrusive! Great for someone trying to check the scores and obviously to have a beer at the bar but did not at all interfere with dinner. I ordered the Carbonnade Victoire, a beef and beer stew. It was good, not outstanding, but basically what you would expect from a beef stew. I was hoping for a little more ale and little less brothy taste but again it was definitely a decent choice. My friend ordered the Braised Short Rid Sandwich. I did take a little taste and it was delicious! Courtney was our server and she was fantastic! We were catching up on some stories so we didn't order right away and she was very patient and unobtrusive. Once we ordered she stopped by just the right amount of times (enough if you need to request something but not to much that you need to say, go away) and she was super pleasant. On the way out we saw another side room that had a really long wooden table and benches so I'm thinking about having my birthday there. I think everyone could find something that they like, the prices are reasonable, and it's laid back being a good combo of restaurant and bar.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank mochachica

Rochester, NY
“Mussels Frites and Beer”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We noticed that this Belgian Beer Bar had just opened during the Rochester Jazz Festival in June, but never had the chance to stop in. But, last night, when we forgot chairs and couldn't stand the length of time needed to see Bandaloop at the Rochester Fringe, it was the right time. And, we are so glad we did. The space has been completely renovated to look just as we would imagine a Belgian rathskeller would look. It's in the basement, it has great heavy wood tables, chairs, benches...and long bar and I would guess almost 40 beers on tap! Then, the menu! Most restaurants that serve mussels have one or at the most two styles. Victoire has about 8 and each is very different. We shared a calamari salad and mussels Provencal and were delighted! With such a good experience with the first two courses and having shared both, we had room and the desire for dessert. So, we tried the Belgian Waffles with ice cream, hot fudge and salted caramel....or that's what the menu said. Not so much...this was a disappointment. I think the fudge and caramel were just little strings of store brand topping! But.....that's a small thing. We will go back again for sure...the mussels and frites and salad were fabulous. And next time we will give more of the beer a try too.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Bettia
Henrietta, New York
“just not that good”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We went with a group of friends for dinner. The location is great and the restaurant itself is very nice. We asked to be seated outside and when they came to let us know they had a table we were told we needed to be done by a certain time to allow for a large party. We said okay because we thougt we had plenty of time, WRONG! The server was very slow and seemed to forget us several times. Some of us never recieved water glasses and two of our party didn't get the last drink they ordered. This is described as a Belgium beer restaurant which they delivered on that. The beer selection was fantastic and the price of that very good. We did eat dinner and that was just ok, nothing that I would return for. They have a very large selection of mussles which I would recommend and a beer but more than that I wouldn't suggest anything.

• Visited September 2012