“"Closed" but still busy..do reviewers understand this is a Great Lake and the city has no control over water bacteria?”
Review of Ontario Beach Park

Ontario Beach Park
Ranked #17 of 145 things to do in Rochester
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Went on downtime between games and found it really nice for so off season, plus it was comfortably full with walkers, couples, a few grilling. Also fun to watch the Yacht Club training. They were doing seasonal repairs so we didn't see anything of note like the carousel, but stuff was well maintained, as in fresh paint on benches and gazebos and no splinters. However they need to have open bathrooms at lease for daylight hours. There were some eating establishments open that were busy. Overall pretty, nice, the walkways out far seemed popular, plenty of fishing boats, a few sailing, etc., I would recommend this for a break, and bet it is nice in the spring/summer. I don't get the issues people have with water bacteria. This is a National Great Lake so it isn't a Rochester control issue I'm aware of..sounds like any shore anywhere that might be closed..it's a big, wide world remember. I didn't see police, which did and didn't surprise me since they don't hang on the beach area in my town except in season, but for the area it just surprised me, or no shady characters, but I did see a trash picker so always beware where you toss anything personal. ONLY complaint was needed restroom open so hou don't have to leave. Beach was clean enough many were shoeless.

There are newer reviews for Ontario Beach Park

Reviewed September 16, 2013

It's free. Besides the nice views of the lake and the merry-go-round, there is a lot of fun people watching to do. It's a great place to spend an afternoon- grab food & drinks at a local restaurant then walk it off on the beach. They've cleaned it up a lot too!

1  Thank jenhaught
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Took my family there today and the smell was so bad we had to immediately leave. Sewage and fish smell was terrible. No swimming and tons of loud parties going on with music blasting. Nobody was there monitoring there kids at the playground. Kids throwing wood chips at eachother screaming swear words. Wasnt like that when i was a child.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

On a weekend trip to Rochester, we thought we'd try Ontario Beach Park for the day. When we got there, we saw a yellow rope blocking off access to the water. We were told the Health Department closed down the beach for the day and there was no swimming. We later found out it was due to high bacteria counts. We then walked the pier, which was nice. We then decided to go and see the old carousel, but it was closed down due to repairs. The bathrooms, as my 8 year old nephew told me, are disgusting! What a shame. This is a beautiful spot on Lake Ontario and it's not worth visiting.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I live near this park and enjoy visiting it each month. It is clean and surrounded by mature trees that provide lovely shade on a hot summer day. The sandy beach is clean and well maintained. Very often though the lake is unfit for swimming due to high bacteria counts. That is a shame. Great palce for a family picnics.
It's also close to Abbotts Custard stand ,the best in Rochester.