“Rochester rocks!”

Memorial Art Gallery
Ranked #12 of 143 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A visit to the Memorial Art Gallery is a journey through more than 5,000 years of art history. From the relics of antiquity to works in the vanguard of contemporary movements, the Gallery offers a panorama of the world's art. With the completion of Centennial Sculpture Park, the Gallery's 14-acre campus has been transformed into a spectacular urban space that is a destination for Rochesterians and visitors alike.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access
Brantford, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Rochester rocks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to Rochester and the Memorial Art Gallery. My overall impression of the gallery is very positive and it's well worth the drive, or if you are in town already, it's a "must-see" destination in Rochester. It's bigger than you think and by far the best gallery in northern New York state.

Visited April 2014

Rochester, New York
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Tapas at the Gallery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

This is not a review of the Art Gallery but rather of the Thursday evenings Tapas bar. Every Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. the Gallery court becomes the scene of a casual tapas bar with live music. We decided to give it a try in order to celebrate a friend's birthday. It was very pleasant overall. The court is a lovely, light filled room with lots of plants and sculptures. Tables were set up for casual dining and listening to a combo of Bass and guitar. A table is set up with a variety of foods and wine and beer. You choose as many items as you wish and are charged accordingly. The food itself hardly resembled any tapas I've ever had and was a bit overpriced but was tasty nonetheless. We sat and talked so long that we totally missed browsing through the gallery for half price on that night. It was a very lovely, non-bar/restaurant way to sit and visit.

Visited April 2014
Hong Kong, China
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Excellent little museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

For an art gallery in a moderate sized city in a sort of post industrial part of the state, the museum is a gem. The collections are very good, well maintained, and the layout of the museum is quite pleasing. Have gone several times

Visited February 2014
Leiden, The Netherlands
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Like visiting an old friend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I learned about art growing up from this museum, and am very familiar with many of the pieces, so I really enjoy taking guests to come and see all it has to offer. However, whenever I visit, I find more things to see, whether a visiting exhibit, the frequent new acquisitions or just the careful and beautiful curatorial work of the museum staff.

It's not too big, but not too small, and you'll leave satisfied but not drained.

Visited April 2013
Rochester, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One of my favorite places”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I find excuses just to drop in at The Memorial Art Gallery. The only drawback is that during busy times parking can be tricky so I've developed a habit of going on off hours. I often go to the special shows, but find myself wandering through the permanent collections to see old favorites. I recently fell in love with a sculpture called Windy Doorstep by Mary Abastenia St. Leger Eberle (1910). In it I found a bit of family history of sorts for my grandmother would have been just such a young woman with a small family in New York City in 1910. She might have been seen sweeping her doorstep just so. Times became hard for her little family which grew to 14 children. This sculpture took me back to a moment in her life before hardship when things might have been hopeful. Each time I visit the gallery I find something to see anew. It is a treasure for Rochester. My other favorite visit was at 4:00 in the afternoon. I was practically alone and someone was practicing the organ in the beautiful fountain room. Heavenly. For me no museum visit is complete without stopping in at the gift shop. I have bought gifts there for family, friends and for myself! Don't go just once, go often.

Visited February 2014