“Very good sushi”

Dining options: Reservations
Rochester, New York
“Very good sushi”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Never been here although I've passed it many times. Usually I have sushi at California Rollin. Took my family here on a Friday night. Wasn't too busy when we arrived but after 7PM the place filled up. The weather was not nice and being on Park Ave. sitting outside would be the ideal place to be. The food was very good, we had 6 different type rolls, tried them all, and found every one satisfying. My wife and I will definitely come back. Prices are maybe at most $1 higher than some other sushi restaurants in the area but then again they aren't on Park Ave. I give this restaurant 4+ stars, good food, friendly staff, great location.

• Visited May 2013

Rochester, NY
“Very good but would we go back?”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Had only been here once before a few years ago and I was not impressed. This visit was much better. The salmon tacos were quite good as was their version of a fish fry with a great remoulade sauce. One disappointment were the frites they were nothing special. Some of the items like the crispy calamari, though good, are overpriced for the serving size . Since we did not get any sushi we cannot comment on it though it did look more expensive than other places in town. We were here early and the service was very attentive though as it was getting busy we could see where the server was being stretched. We had a Living Social coupon and had no issue with using it. Despite the generally positive experience I am not sure we would rush back...

• Visited March 2013
Rochester, NY
“Rip-Off Alert!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Rip off alert -- this place doesn’t honor their advertised prices; they charge different prices to different customers. My husband and I just redeemed a Living Social deal here yesterday. The deal was $15 for $30, exclusive of alcohol. We do NOT feel that Piranha fairly honored this deal. After we were seated, our waitress greeted us and asked if we had a Living Social, and we said yes. She then informed us that the Living Social did not apply to the day's Happy Hour specials, which consisted of "traditional" sushi and alcoholic beverages. (This was NOT noted on the Living Social fine print.) Well, we weren't interested in ordering "traditional" sushi anyway, and although we intended to order alcoholic beverages, we planned to order enough food items to exceed the $30 voucher, and hence any alcoholic beverages would be additional to the voucher, outside it’s realm. We proceeded to order approximately $39 worth of food items, which did indeed more than cover the Living Social minimum. I also ordered one hot sake, which was to be $3.00, according to the Happy Hour menu. Yet, the waitress informed us that we would have to pay $5.50 for it, simply because we had a Living Social voucher for food items. My husband and I pointed out that we had clearly already ordered more food items than the $30 Living Social voucher, but she said the sake would still cost $5.50 (over 50% more than non-Living Social patrons were being charged for it). My husband and I did not and still cannot understand why we were being charged nearly twice as much for the same beverage than the other patrons, just because we happenned to have a Living Social deal for food items. Of course, this would have been slightly more understandable had we not met the $30 minimum. But, being as how we DID meet the $30 minimum, and the voucher was only for food anyway, we felt as though we were being discriminated against just for having a Living Social voucher -- that is, we were being charged more than other patrons for a certain menu item, even though it clearly was not covered by / affected by our Living Social deal. Because of Piranha’s murky business practices, we’ll never return. That aside, it is worth noting that their mediocre menu items are overpriced to begin with; one can find rolls of the same quality at Plum House, Fujiya, and elsewhere for about $2 less per roll. Additionally, Piranha somehow thinks it’s reasonable to charge $7.50 for a little salad consisting of field greens and stale tomatoes. (I would have gotten a seaweed salad instead, but they were out of that, surprise surprise.)

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Enfys15
san francisco
“It's a cool college hangout but go because that's what it is”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Get the octopus salad - it really is good, shaved and the right amount of dressing. The sashimi platter (chef's choice of what goes on it) is enough for 2. It's a place where Mexican tacos, steak are on the menu as well. Don't get the miso soup, there's a layer of oil that miso soup isn't supposed to have.

Is it worth it, yeah, it's chill but if you know sashimi and sushi - just see it as a nice place to hang out and the stuff they serve is what they serve. Lower expectations on food if you are a pro at it. Otherwise, you won't know the difference and the waiter (1, I think) is nice.

• Visited October 2012
“Amazing sushi”
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

A perfect addition to the park ave atmosphere, piranha strives to give people only the best quality sushi. I have been here multiple times as a native rochesterian, and I must say that this is my absolute favorite. I highly suggest the 12$ chef special! 2 amazing rolls of the chefs choice.