“Not a bad spot for Mexican”
Review of Agave Mexican grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Agave Mexican grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Rochester, NY
“Not a bad spot for Mexican”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We headed over to Agave Mexican Grill for a nice after work dinner. We had a good, not great but good experience. I would come here again.

The place is in a very non-descript building (we actually drove right past it). It's smaller than I expected. Inside the decor is generic Mexican restaurant. The service we received was excellent. Our drinks and food were delivered quickly.

We started with the free chips and house salsa. The salsa had a nice spiciness to it and the chips were served warm. Then we had a shrimp nachos appetizer. I would skip this next time, the chips were good as was the queso sauce with onions and peppers but there weren't enough shrimp to make this worthwhile. The main entrees were very good and the portions were excellent. I had the barbecued beef burrito which was massive and very flavorful and my companion had the mushroom quesadilla which was quite large and very tasty. We decided to skip dessert after stuffing ourselves.

• Visited July 2013

Rochester
“Poor service and HORRIBLE food !”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

There was one waitress on who was trying to handle everything, but complaining at the same time. The food was AWFUL !! How this place had an award and good reviews is SO beyond me ! Did not feel well later and the next day !

Visited May 2013
Rochester, New York
“Standard Rochester Mexican Restaurant Food”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Rochester Mexican restaurants are generally not very good. There are several reasons for this. Most area Mexican restaurants are chain operated. That means than the local Mexican restaurant clientele only have chain restaurants as a reference point. A small truly authentic Mexican restaurant opened in Greece, NY years ago and lasted for only about a year. They had one major mark against them. They didn't sell margaritas. The food was great. It was flavorful and a little spicy, just like you what you would be served in a Mexican home.

Agave is not much different from the chain Mexican restaurants in the area. Even their menu is nearly identical to several other Mexican restaurants. One of the ways that I know that I am not going to have a good authentic Mexican meal is to look at the restaurant menu. If there is no combination dinner that includes chili poblano and tamales it is an indication that you are looking at a standardized menu, which indicates a standardized Mexican restaurant. Like most local Mexican restaurant franchises, Agave provided free salsa and chips, although neither were very good.

When stuck at a Mexican restaurant like Agave, I usually order from the a la carte section. This time I ordered tamale, chili poblano, rice, and beans. The tamale was flattened corn meal with a very small amount of meat in the center. Just enough meat to suggest a meat flavor. The tamale was warm on the outside and cool in the center. The rice was unspectacular and lacked lacked flavor. The re-fried beans were cold and came in a stingy portion of about three tablespoons spread out across a third of the plate.

A standard test for an authentic Mexican restaurant is the quality of their flan. If the flan is golden in color and delicate in texture is may be good. If it is covered with maraschino cherries, sauces, and whipped creme, you know that they are trying to cover up something. What Agave was covering up was a flan that was very rigid like a dry bread pudding. It was just edible.

A major plus for Agave was that they didn't have a large screen TV. The noise level was actually low enough to carry on a conversation with a date.

The service was good, but the server knew little or nothing about Mexican food and mispronounced the name of the beer that they had on special.

Would I go back to Agave? Probably not. Would I recommend it to a friend? No.

• Visited May 2013
“Authentic atmosphere and good food”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I enjoy going out for Mexican on occasion so we are not experts, but we can tell when something is authentic or boxed. This place was authentic right down to the customer with glittery cowboy boots and fancy western shirt...the food was fresh, hot and good tasting. Salsa was excellent and chips were fresh. I would definitely go here again.

• Visited March 2013