“Comfort and Convenience”

A B&B at The Edward Harris House Inn & Cottages
Ranked #3 of 9 Rochester B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was our second stay at the Edward Harris House Inn. We spent four nights this time during the week of Thanksgiving. It is right around the corner from my daughter's apartment and withing easy walking distance of restaurants on Park, the Eastman House on East Ave. and the museum on University. The room was spacious and appointed with all we needed. King size bed, great shower, comfortable reading chair and good lighting for reading. Breakfast was served at our convenience and was delicious. The French toast made from croissants were yummy. No need for lunch. Susan, Manny and Heather are excellent hosts and they see to every detail. I loved that there was a hot pot on the second floor landing so that I could have tea when I wanted it. We will stay there every time we visit Rochester.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a fantastic bed and breakfast. My husband and I stayed here on Friday night and will be back the next time we are in Rochester. I grew up in Rochester and never knew this place existed until recently. We were back in town to visit family and stayed in Emily's Suite. Our room was beautifully decorated and filled with comfy chairs, a desk and an extremely comfortable king bed. There were snacks and water upon our arrival and we felt very at home. Our bathroom had a lovely deep bathtub and plenty of fluffy towels and extra amenities. Every detail is thought of in this B&B and the owners clearly enjoy being hosts. Our breakfast the next day was delicious and we truly felt like we found a very special place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We resevered here because it was closer to the venue and spectacularly much nicer between East and Park, then anywhere inside the loop.
This is an excellent location in Rochester, a very beautiful part of town. We had dinner around the corner on Park at Jine's on our way to the show. We walked, or you could call a cab, to see
Joe Bonamassa LIVE at the Rochester Theater tonight !
What a show! This B&B was the icing on the cake !

Room Tip: Our room # 2 has a name: Emily
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My two girlfriends and I just returned home to Houston, Texas after spending three amazing nights at The Edward Harris House in Rochester, NY. As an avid traveler, I can honestly say that this is one of the best B&B's I have ever been to. From the moment we stepped foot onto the beautiful property until the moment we left, we were surrounded by such warmth and friendliness. Susan, Manny, and Heather have created a magnificent place that provides you with all of the comforts of home while surrounding you with beautiful antiques and decorations. Their attention to detail is unparallelled. The breakfasts were amazing and the endless supply of cookies were an added bonus. If I am ever in the area again, I will definitely plan to stay here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This B&B is a beautiful home in a great neighborhood. It is close to many attractions in downtown Rochester, close to freeway access and is within walking distance of a number of good restaurants. Manny and Susan are friendly and professional. We stayed in Emily’s suite, which has a king-size bed, reading area, desk area and a large bathroom. Emily’s suite is nicely decorated and very comfortable. The B&B is located on a pretty quiet street, so noise isn’t a factor in any of the rooms. There is a library downstairs to read or watch DVDs. I gave this four stars instead of five because, I wake up VERY early and like to make a cup of coffee first thing, not wait for an hour and a half. Coffee wasn’t available until 7 a.m. I wish more B&B’s would buy a Keurig coffee maker for guests to use. I think there was a beverage station outside our room, but it wasn’t really explained and while I saw tea and coffee bags, there was no creamer for coffee and I wasn’t sure how to operate the pot for heating water. Breakfast is good, but not the most memorable thing about the B&B. Manny makes a very good omelet, but our second day I don’t think Manny was cooking. Pancakes were way overdone. That said, I don’t think you will be disappointed by staying at the Edward Harris House. It is a lovely and comfortable B&B.

Room Tip: Emily's suite is spacious and comfortable; Rosemary's suite is large but the bath is tiny
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I visited Rochester and stayed at the Edward Harris House for four nights. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed our stay immensely. From check-in to check-out, we were treated like royalty. The staff was friendly and willing to please. Our breakfast was serve in a beautiful dining room at the precise time we requested. It was delicious and the presentation was absolutely beautiful. Our room was spacious, immaculate, and completely stocked with plenty of towels and nice toiletries. The bed was extremely comfortable. The house is spacious and beautifully decorated. We were also able to enjoy a large living room with a fireplace where we could relax and enjoy the quiet atmosphere anytime we pleased. Manny and Susan are wonderful hosts and really made our stay relaxing and memorable. We will definitely return and recommend
this inn to our family and friends. Thank you so much for all your hard work!!!
Ed and Maria L. Florida

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed one evening at the Edward Harris House, in the Emily Room which was lovely and accessorized to remind you of Paris. Room was furnished for comfort with lots of extra towels, nice toiletries, cute knick-knacks to convey homeyness. The house itself is beautifully decorated and offered many nice little touches - a carafe of coffee liqueur, jar of homemade cookies, bowl of pistachio nuts in the living room, an electric kettle for tea on the upstairs landing for guests in the evening, etc.

We would have given it five stars except that we had the feeling the Edward Harris may be starting to coast on its reputation. Our welcome upon arrival felt a little perfunctory, similar to what you might expect at a large hotel. Breakfast the next morning was good, but certainly not over the top. Our innkeeper was nowhere to be seen and the manager/housekeeper seemed harried as she rushed to get breakfast on the table and cater to the guests.

Room Tip: The Emily Room is quite small. Go for a king-size suite if you need space.
1  Thank bluenote18