“Shogun is a great hibachi chef”
Review of Shogun Palace

Shogun Palace
Ranked #903 of 1,294 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Japanese
Rochester
“Shogun is a great hibachi chef”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you go here for hibachi, make sure you get Shogun as your chef or else leave. It is a beautiful restaurant but it is on the cold side - bring a jacket. You do pay for the experience and he will give a good one - I will not endorse any of the others.

• Visited January 2013

“Horrible experience”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

At first I was impressed by the ambiance. Very nice inside, but it was very cold. I wanted to sit at the table with my jacket on. People around us had their jackets on as well. The service was horrible, it took our food literally, no exaggeration, 50 minutes to come out. I got Salmon and it was still raw. The waiter only came when she was bringing something to our table. I had to ask another waiter to get her to complain about my Salmon. When she came, she asked it I wanted it "thrown" back on the grill. I said No, I was already frustrated and annoyed by the fact that it took so long to come out in the first place and I was cold. We told her we were ready for the check, she came back and told me she was going to take 20% off, but still charge us for the RAW Salmon that I did not eat. After complaining to the manager, he reluctantly took the Salmon off the bill. Although we were over charged for a bottle of wine, we didn't feel like arguing, we just wanted to leave. It was a very disappointing experience, especially since we were celebrating a special occasion. It was not crowded by the way. This poor service seems to be their norm. I don't know about the hibachi portion, it seems to have gotten good reviews. If you choose the dining option, beware!!!!!!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Ashley R
Irondequoit, New York
“Great Sushi & Hibachi”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I have been to Shogun Palace numerous times since it opened and have never been disappointed. The sushi is fresh and delicious, and the menu has lots of choices including hibachi, tempura and “Chinese” classics such as General Tso. There is something for everyone. They offer numerous special rolls, and can tailor any dish to your custom order. We like to take friends and family when they visit from out of town. There is a koi pond in the middle of the main dining room with a footbridge over it, a favorite with the kids. Defiantly recommend to anyone looking for great sushi, hibachi or Chinese.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank krueg77
Western New York
“Great find!”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Friendly staff, great selection of entrees and sauces. Generous portions! An overall good experience, we will definitely return!

• Visited April 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“The best Hibachi restaurant I've ever been to!”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I've personally visited over 20 Hibachi grills across the world, and this is definitely the best tasting food I've had at any of them! How? It's all in the sauces!

At most Hibachi restaurants, you get 2 tiny bowls of sauce, most often a mustard-based and a ginger-based sauce (white/yellow and red/brown respectively). At Shogun, we received 2 sauces to begin with, and then our chef made 2 additional sauces. All 4 were absolutely incredible! They're custom-made here, so they don't really have names, but the one that really stands out is the spicy sauce. I don't know what's in it, but I bought a quart of it to take home (a true bargain at only $10!), it was that good! Don't be scared of the term "spicy", it's not that spicy, but has a little kick. Just right and very tasty!

Like most Hibachi places, it is a little loud with all the knife clanging and people applauding as the chefs perform some trick. And of course the grill fans are right there in front of you, and they are very loud.

Our chef was very entertaining. He did all the typical Hibachi knife twirling, the onion volcano (but with a unique twist of pouring sauce inside, which then spouted out like lava. Never seen that before!). The food he cooked for us was very good, though no different from most good Hibachi places. But those sauces... Amazing!! Really made the night!

I'm not sure if the sauces are his personal creation or standard at the restaurant, but they were all incredible. I'll be stopping in every so often to buy more to take home.

I highly recommend this place!

• Visited February 2012