“Very interesting”

Mount Hope Cemetery
Ranked #4 of 143 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Owner description: Mount Hope, dedicated in 1838, is America's first municipal Victorian Cemetery. Set in a picturesque landscape shaped by retreating glaciers, the cemetery contains priceless pieces of art and rare horticultural specimens. It is the final resting place of many dignified and internationally known individuals, including Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass, and is on the National Park Services National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom. Mount Hope is listed in the New York State Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places as part of the Mt. Hope/Highland Preservation District, featuring 83 mausoleums, soaring Egyptian obelisks, a Florentine cast-iron fountain, two stone chapels in the Gothic Revival style, a Moorish gazebo, a Victorian Gothic gatehouse, and infinitely varied tombstones marking 350,000 graves across 196 acres.
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was ridiculed for suggesting that we visit & cemetery on holiday, but it was great. It was a hot day, but the tour guide did keep us interested & although I was not as familiar with some of the local historical figures, as the American visitors, I enjoyed it all the same.
Susan B Anthony & Fredick Douglas were interesting, but also that founder of the street/neighbourhood that friends who accompanied us lived.
I would like to attend the tours in October that are at dusk.
Refreshments were included (Lemonade & cookies ).

Visited July 2013

New York City, New York
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Moms resting place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I visit this historic cemetery to visit my mom and grandparents gravesite. They were lucky to get a plot long ago, because you cannot get one anymore. This is an old historic cemetery just barely outside downtown Rochester. The oldest part is the best part for tourists to visit, because this is where Susan B. Anthony and Fredrick Douglas Jr are buried. This part of the cemetery is very old and very beautiful. You'll enjoy walking around here. Worth an hour or an hour and a half of your time if you ever visit Rochester.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank rob788
Rochester, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“An amazing place to wander”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

A lovely cemetary with many old and historic headstones. Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony are two of the more famous ones. It's just a beautiful place to walk and see history right in front of you.

Visited May 2013
New Port Richey, Florida
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Found our ancestors”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

A kiosk at the main building shows you what section the grave you are looking for is located in, and you can print out a map. A helpful worker, showed us how to find the markers for the tier numbers at the end of each row. They are sometimes covered up with grass. We were surprised to see there are deer that frequent the cemetery to graze and are not the least bit timid around people.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mimivfl73
WNY
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Gorgeous! 350,000 graves....”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I wish I had made a tour reservation...my daughter had a weekend event at Rochester U. I arrived early for pickup and had about 20 minutes to kill...no pun intended! This cemetery look intriguing and picturesque when I passed it and it is on the backside of RU so I decided to check it out....Whoa! I couldn't even scratch the surface in 20 minutes. Call me a small town girl....but I have never seen a cemetery this HUGE! It goes on, and on and on....and it's not all in view....it's on hills and crags left from the glaciers...there are turns, hills, levels, dirt roads, paved roads, walkways, paths, nature, architecture,....peaceful & historic. I really NEED to get a camera I leave in the car. It was a gorgeous day and so picturesque!!!! Had I known this gem was here, I would have made a tour, even if self-guided, for me and my daughter. I did luck out and passby a placard that pointed out the grave of Frederick Douglass which I enjoyed as I'm a Civil War buff. If you enjoy cemeteries of the Victorian Era...you'll be overwhelmed by the intricate stones and markers. Just gorgeous!!!!

Visited June 2013