“Gorgeous! 350,000 graves....”

Mount Hope Cemetery
Ranked #3 of 148 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Owner description: Mount Hope, dedicated in 1838, is America's first municipal Victorian Cemetery. Set in a picturesque landscape shaped by retreating glaciers, the cemetery contains priceless pieces of art and rare horticultural specimens. It is the final resting place of many dignified and internationally known individuals, including Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass, and is on the National Park Services National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom. Mount Hope is listed in the New York State Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places as part of the Mt. Hope/Highland Preservation District, featuring 83 mausoleums, soaring Egyptian obelisks, a Florentine cast-iron fountain, two stone chapels in the Gothic Revival style, a Moorish gazebo, a Victorian Gothic gatehouse, and infinitely varied tombstones marking 350,000 graves across 196 acres.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I wish I had made a tour reservation...my daughter had a weekend event at Rochester U. I arrived early for pickup and had about 20 minutes to kill...no pun intended! This cemetery look intriguing and picturesque when I passed it and it is on the backside of RU so I decided to check it out....Whoa! I couldn't even scratch the surface in 20 minutes. Call me a small town girl....but I have never seen a cemetery this HUGE! It goes on, and on and on....and it's not all in view....it's on hills and crags left from the glaciers...there are turns, hills, levels, dirt roads, paved roads, walkways, paths, nature, architecture,....peaceful & historic. I really NEED to get a camera I leave in the car. It was a gorgeous day and so picturesque!!!! Had I known this gem was here, I would have made a tour, even if self-guided, for me and my daughter. I did luck out and passby a placard that pointed out the grave of Frederick Douglass which I enjoyed as I'm a Civil War buff. If you enjoy cemeteries of the Victorian Era...you'll be overwhelmed by the intricate stones and markers. Just gorgeous!!!!

1  Thank wnyroute66

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our Cemetery has a lot to offer folks.....who like local history, who enjoy architecture, who know plants and trees, who like to hike in beautiful settings. I just love Mount Hope and wish more people would take advantage of this lovely Rochester gem.

1  Thank Sharon R
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I'm not a huge history buff, but I love coming to the cemetery. It is so beautiful and peaceful. It is extremely well maintained and it is so large and intricate with many different places to explore!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The tours of this historical cemetery are fun and are so well narrated when you are finished you feel like you knew each and every historical figure buried here and a sense of what Rochester was like 100 years ago. Fascinating

Reviewed March 15, 2013

there are people buried here from before the civil war, families, dignitaries, and historical figures. there are tours worth taking.