“Nikko Is A Nice Experience”
Review of Nikko - CLOSED

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We visited Nikko for the first time on May 19, 2012. Restaurant is tucked away in a commercial neighborhood in downtown Rochester. Limited on and off street parking available, with Nikko valet that is a nice feature for this parking challenged neighborhood. Arrived at 7:30 for our 7:30 reservation and our table was ready. We started out with cocktails that all said were good. My Bombay Sapphire martini was perfect. Our server, Kayla (I think?) was outstanding. Very attentive and had patience with us as she provided recommendations for how to approach dinner. Sushi and Asian items predominate the menu...but some steak and potatoes type items too. We stuck with sushi, nagiri, raw oysters, and appetizers for sharing amongst all 4 of us. All items were served at a perfect pace as the evening progressed. Rather than load our table with everything all at once, Kayla spread the food arrival times out so we could eat, converse, and catch up with our dining partners. Nicely done. The vibe of the space is hip/smart with patrons coming in throughout the evening. I think next time (which will be soon) we'll order some sushi items as an appetizer, then order an entree. Spying the entrees around us, they all looked enticing. I think either one of the owners, or at least a manager stopped by our table to ask if everything was OK which was nice.

1  Thank SRCFan

Reviewed April 25, 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our night out at Nikko. The food is amazing...order a number of sushi dishes for the table, split a couple of entrees and enjoy the mixology at the bar. The people are an eclectic mix of young and old; all looking for a vibrant atmosphere to enjoy a Friday night. Oh, by the way, you HAVE to order the cheeseburger. It has to be the best burger I've ever eaten...weird going to a sushi place to order a burger, but it's a must. This is a top 10 restaurant in my book, certainly the best in Rochester, NY.

2  Thank Nawlins007
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This restaurant is a literally hidden treasure. It is a little difficult to find even for those who live here. But is it is phenomenal. The service is excellent. The menu is full of dishes you want to try. The price is quite reasonable at a level you would expect to pay: about $50 a person including wine and tip.

2  Thank snmeee
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I am so excited that the Rochester food scene is getting more interesting with fun, innovative restaurants such as this one. Nikko's menu is inspired and unique, with leanings toward Japanese fare. But even if you are not a sushi-lover still check this place out! The menu is extremely varied with something for everyone on it. We tried about 8 different items and overall everything was delicious with just a couple items missing the mark slightly (the pork belly was suprisingly difficult to cut through). The drinks are fantastic! Tony at the bar is a mixology wizard and his cocktail list is probably the best in Rochester. The hand-crafted drinks take some time to concoct, but that is understandable considering the immense amount of love and unique ingredients that goes into every single one. The scene at Nikko is very urban and chic and a great place to see and be seen (if you are into that sort of thing).

And yes, there are 2 TVs at the bar which didn't bother us at all. They were tuned to food channels which I thought was a nice break from sports. Unlike the previous reviewer we didn't feel they detracted from the ambience at all. I was also surprised at the reviewer's 3 star rating when they seemed to love everything about Nikko except for the TVs.

2  Thank jazzkaylor
Reviewed March 4, 2012

The place is quite beautiful, and the setting is terrific. If you sit near the window, you have a great view of the striking Anthony-Douglass bridge. Exposed brick and pipes, chic, comfortable. But the bar had two television sets with sports games on. I have only been there once, with colleagues after an evening meeting, so perhaps the TV is not no all of the time. I just could not fathom why a beautiful space like this would have televisions over the bar. Fortunately, my colleagues were less TV-at-dinner-averse than I am, so I was able to look out the window and not at people running around a basketball court. Everything we had was good, especially the sushi rolls. One colleague who lives in Italy was amused that the waiter warned her, when she asked about some of the small plates "the serving is about like this" and he held his thumbs and forefingers in the shape of a small donut. The portions were indeed small, and perhaps people had complained about the size. Everything we ordered was good, including the wine and cocktails. So I would go back for the food and the atmosphere, eve though I wish they'd lose the jarring sports-bar TVs.