“Average food, commited mortal pasta sin”

Gigi's Italian Kitchen & Catering
Ranked #650 of 1,313 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Mid-week visit on a whim. I cook a lot of Italian food, so we don't often go out for it.

Restaurant not crowded at all, yet we were still asked if we had a reservation, which seemed very out of place. However, we were quickly seated and warm Martiescello's was brought, happy about that as they are one of our preferred breads.

Service was very attentive, perhaps a little too much so, though given the extremes you can get in service I suppose I'd rather have it this way. Heard the long drinks and specials spiel, ordered, eggplant parm for me, chicken french for the wife, with the up-sell of frenched artichokes.

Salads came quickly, nothing exceptional either way, though to their credit their house italian doesn't contain balsamic (a peeve of mine). Meal came, large portions, but the mortal sin had been committed. The pasta is not tossed with sauce, it's served plain with the sauce over the top. I also am mostly certain that the eggplant is not made in house but provided by a food service. It was...ok...thick enough to actually taste eggplant, but there was something about it that didn't seem genuine. The artichokes were definitely canned, and while my wife liked her chicken, she would certainly not order the artichokes again.

The leftovers (I'm losing weight, eating much smaller portions. My EP actually provided three meals for me) were quickly and well packed, the check came, and we were done. The meal was reasonably priced, though that may have a lot to do with the perceived shortcuts with the eggplant and artichokes.

Rochester had many fine italian restaurants, and, in my opinion, many better options. While you will probably be content with this choice, you can certainly do better.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

In a town full opf Italian restaurants, Gigi's is our favorite. We have never had an inferior meal there and the chef is always willing to tweak our order if there's something we want or don't want in our meal. We are aways welcomed as friends and our servers, especially Julie, have always been very good and attentive to our needs. Occasionally, service has been a bit slow, but that has been when there are quite a few tables filled, however, because we know that the food is good, we don't mind waiting.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Visited twice in last two weeks. First because of a coupon that we were told AFTER the meal they wouldn't accept because we ordered the special. Only went back the 2nd time to use the coupon. Hostess was extremely unfriendly, made me feel I was out of place asking for a table without a reservation, despite the fact there were many open tables. On both visits the service was extremely slow - yesterday 40 minutes to take our order, then another 40 minutes for the food to arrive. Food was average at best - very bland - little taste. Do not plan to return - even for their free birthday meal. Much, much better options within 1/2 mile.

3  Thank Frank L
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Got seated right away but that is where it ended. we were only one of four tables when we sat. took over 20 minutes for our dinner. Pasta and meatballs nothing fancy all you can eat. The pasta is precooked and just needs to heated and the suce and meatballs are on a steam line.
So it should not take that long. The sauce had no flavor no garlic, onions basil etc. Service was terrible the server did not know how to do more than one thing at time. 9 minutes to get my check. She only had 4 tables.

2  Thank Bob B
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Went to Gigi's for the first time. Got seated right away but the service wasn't the fastest. Pleasant enough but we waited, I would say, about 20 min. after we were done eating just for the waitress to acknowledge us and then another 5 or more just to get our food wrapped and the check given to us. Thank God we had cash so we could just leave. Food was okay. I thought we were getting red sauce but I think it was the Rosa which I don't really like, though the gnocchi's were nice and tender. My husband didn't care for the meatball but you can never get a good meatball. It was pretty pricey but it seems all Italian restaurants seem to be that way lately. It has that musty smell when you first walk in. Lighting is dim and atomsphere was fine.