“Not worth the wait!”

Add it.
Takumi Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Too new to know how to accommodate the crowds.

Reservations for 7:30 pm; arrived at 7:15 pm and at 7:45 we asked how much longer. They brought us over a free appetizer of edamame, which was very nice but we didn't get seated until 8:00 pm. At 8:15 pm we were ready to walk out for no one even came over to give us water. I spoke to the manager who assured me we would have a chef at our hibachi table in 15 min. He brought over another complimentary appetizer and finally water. 8:50 pm the chef came over.

Everyone was very nice, the chef and our waiter were explaining that the restaurant is new and this is the busiest they have been so were not prepared. The food was good, not great nor any different than other hibachi restaurants in Rochester. The chef who put on the hibachi show was great and said he has worked all over Rochester. It took a very long time to get our bill after the meal and we ended up leaving at 10:00 pm. 3 hours is just too long to be out for dinner at a hibachi place!

Also, I don't think they have a proper setup for hibachi for it was very smoky in the room and my daughter actually had to leave to go outside. It was also very cold.

Unfortunately, I will never go back due to the wait time; maybe once they get a process in place and can accommodate the crowds, it will be better. We had our kids with us and it was my birthday and it was not a good night. None of us were happy when we were supposed to be out celebrating. Not a pleasant experience.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

We were looking for a place to eat and every one seemed packed. On a whim, we tried the one across the street which happened to be Tacumi -- we got in immediately (although it did get almost filled as the evening progressed). The menu is far more "interesting" than for most hibachi grill places with lots of Japanese items including sushi, udon (stew/soup), and shuumai (similar to the Chinese, I am told).

We (7 of us) ordered a wide range of food including some steak, shrimp, and chicken for the grill (excellent chef by-the-way) and sushi. I had Tekadon and was very pleased with the quality and quantity of both the tuna and the rice. I also had the squid/seaweed salad -- also excellent. Everyone in the family was very pleased with all the courses we ate. The price for all 7 was just under $200 -- I felt it was almost a bargain compared to most hibachi grill restaurant prices (and, the food was far better at Takumi).

They supposedly opened in December, 2011 and some items are not yet available. I asked about the "Japanese Pizza" (okonomiyaki) since they have the grills built into the booths. They said they currently prepare it in the kitchen rather than having the customers cook it themselves at the table as in Japan. I am looking forward to trying that again!

Bottom line is, of course, "Yes, we would go there again!"

1  Thank joem5636