“Fantastic place for kids of all ages and adults as well!”

The Strong National Museum of Play
Ranked #1 of 143 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play. It is one of the largest history museums in the United States and one of the leading museums serving families. The Strong houses the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of historical materials related to play and is home to the International Center for the History of Electronic Games, the National Toy Hall of Fame, the World Video Game Hall of Fame, the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play, the Woodbury School, and the American Journal of Play. Together, these enable a multifaceted array of research, exhibition, and other interpretive and educational activities that serve a diverse audience of adults, families, children, students, teachers, scholars, collectors, and others around the globe.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
St. Augustine, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic place for kids of all ages and adults as well!”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I read rave reviews for this place on trip advisor and decided to go to this museum on our trip back to Pittsburgh from the finger lakes region. I was really pleasantly surprised by how much we all enjoyed the museum. I have a 5 year old and a 9 year old and they both just absolutely loved it! Didn't want to leave. My husband and I also enjoyed it a lot. It is very spacious so you are not running into other people and there is much to do and see. My kids fell in love with the mail sorting center where they could put ona mail-man's shirt and bag and sort mail.

2 Thank mud2010

Toronto
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Well worth it!”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We went to Rochester with our 2 and 4 year old and it was...amazing! We went on a Monday morning and the crowd was reduced to a few visitors. This place is big, you can spend the whole day easily, lots of things to do not only for little children, we had a blast. The entire 1st floor is a playground, clean and well maintained. Overall, a very nice surprise, highly recommended.

1 Thank menet
caledon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic Attraction”
Reviewed May 6, 2010

The Strong Museum is amazing! It would appeal to kids of all ages, including big kids ( adults). The museum has so many things to do and see, so interactive, and well maintained. The staff was personable and easy to find. We are already looking forward to our next trip there.

1 Thank GranolaGirl2013
Oakville, Ontario
“This place is REALLY worth it!”
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I talked my wife into taking our kids to the museum as part of a weekend getaway in Rochester. The website looked good, but she had visions of the museum being run down and dirty - what a pleasant surprise we had when the website was actually a true representation! We had a great time and ended up coming back about 6 months later because we were not able to do all of the activities at the museum that we wanted. There is something there for everyone - young and old - educational and just plain fun!

Katonah, NY
210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 440 helpful votes
“What an amazing place, worth a trip on it's own!”
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We had no idea this would be so spectacular. Sadly, I only had a couple of hours there to break up a long journey, but my 11 and 9 year olds could have literally stayed all day. I would love to go back and make a weekend of it. This museum has something for all ages, even adults should go on their own to see the toys they played with as kids. This is a world-class museum, and as a very well-travelled world traveller, I should know. As good as all the press and other reveiwers say it is, and not to be missed.