“So much FUN to Play. Kids and Adults!”

The Strong National Museum of Play
Ranked #1 of 149 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play. It is one of the largest history museums in the United States and one of the leading museums serving families. The Strong houses the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of historical materials related to play and is home to the International Center for the History of Electronic Games, the National Toy Hall of Fame, the World Video Game Hall of Fame, the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play, the Woodbury School, and the American Journal of Play. Together, these enable a multifaceted array of research, exhibition, and other interpretive and educational activities that serve a diverse audience of adults, families, children, students, teachers, scholars, collectors, and others around the globe.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I think the adults had as much fun as the kids! there is so much to do and learn. All the play areas are safe for all kids and the staff members were helpful and understanding when the kids raced from one toy to another. Lunch at Bill Grays Dinner was also a treat. Good kids menu. The train ride was a big hit! There were many large groups there the day we went, but there is so much to do and so much space, that we never "felt" crowded. A must attraction for all families.

1  Thank Susan F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,768)

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I was in Rochester for business, and had a few hours to fill before meetings started - so how could I not check out something called the Museum of Play?

There are obviously a lot of things to appeal to young kids, but as a child of the 70's/80's, I had a blast seeing the exhibits of what are now historical games and toys, and playing the video games I played as a kid. These are the ones I can actually play...PacMan, Frogger, etc. nothing complicated....the pinball games were a blast too! And then...they had Kings Quest! Fellow Gen Xers you know what I'm talking about! Type in those commands and get stuck in the witch's house anyway when "run away" doesn't work...you can even try your hand again at an Atari 2600. All they needed was the Oregon trail to complete things...

Seriously, I didn't get too many funny looks as an adult here alone in the pinball and video game sections...now if I tried to play in the supermarket, that might have been another matter...

Great way to fill a few hours!

1  Thank AMLIndy
Reviewed July 31, 2014

There was so much to do that both the adults and kids had a lot of fun. However the adults stamina didn't last near as long as the kids and we started to get a little tired and were happy when closing time came. The staff were all pleasant and helpful. One thing I didn't like was the arcade staff taking all the tickets from our kids "to count them" and then not giving the extras back when the kids picked a prize that was less than their total tickets. A dishonest practice in my view. The runaway hit though was the Skyliner Diner! The rest of the family loved their burgers but my Fish fry was the best! Plus it is always great to eat at a traditional American Diner.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

So much fun!! I love the virtual dance floor- and also the areas which I can share with my teen (Like the video games and the imagination/fairy tale station). The butterfly garden is beautiful too (Watch out with young kids- they may step on the butterflies :).

It is easy to spend many hours here, and the age range is good- for very small kids they have a Sesame Street and a "Wegman's" area, and for the bigger kids there is plenty to climb on, manipulate, and enjoy. Lots of fun, a bit of science and magic too!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We brought our two year old son. He had a blast and was all over from the moment we entered until the moment we left. There was so much for him to do. He loved Sesame Street and the Wegmans shopping areas the most. There is a small train and carousel to ride for $1 each. We had lunch at the diner and is was pretty reasonable. We can't wait to go back in the future.

1  Thank Tink01Ny