“Fun place for children!”

The Strong National Museum of Play
Ranked #1 of 148 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play. It is one of the largest history museums in the United States and one of the leading museums serving families. The Strong houses the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of historical materials related to play and is home to the International Center for the History of Electronic Games, the National Toy Hall of Fame, the World Video Game Hall of Fame, the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play, the Woodbury School, and the American Journal of Play. Together, these enable a multifaceted array of research, exhibition, and other interpretive and educational activities that serve a diverse audience of adults, families, children, students, teachers, scholars, collectors, and others around the globe.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a great place for children of all ages as they have the ability to learn and play! The Wegmans section is always a blast, being able to push around your own little cart. Sesame street is great being able to see Elmo and Big Bird. Definitely a place worth visiting multiple times as you can never stop finding enough things to play with!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We have been to this museum MANY times as we've had a family pass for three years now. We have two young kids, I would say it is best for kids 3ish and older, but if you have someone younger who is a good solid walker then it would be fine... My youngest just turned two and can be entertained for a long time. This membership is a great Christmas present to give a family, especially love the guest pass because you can actually send your kids with a friend for free still! It's been great, I assumed the first year that Either my husband or I would have to be present in order for the guest pass to work, but just a minimum of ONE member of the family has to be there which includes the kids... Amazing place!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I wish this museum had been around for our children but I'm very grateful it's around for our grandchildren! Our eleven year old is entertained as well as our three year old and all the other ages in between. There's something for everyone, including adults. Make it a full day if you can as it is not inexpensive (they offer Grandparent Memberships); however, watching your children's joy makes it well worth it. Be sure to visit the Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden - you will be amazed how it calms (momentarily) your kids!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I call the museum a destination rather than an attraction because we spent over 5 hours exploring with our 4 and 1.5 year old children and only made it through 1/3 of the museum. We were searching for an engaging place for 2 very different age groups that was not a water park, not that we don't love the water parks, we just had a personal reason that meant no water fun for our mini family vacation. We actually stumbled on The Strong by accident, after booking the hotel from a deal a day website, but I can tell you we will be visiting the museum again, it has to have been one of the most child oriented places we have ever been! It was not only affordable, $13/person over 2 yrs, but it offered so much great interaction for both of our children without pushing products or purchases at your children. I have, and will continue to recommend The Strong to all of my friends with children or who are just children at heart. This made our trip to Rochester a really great family outing!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This place is insane. It is literally impossible to get my kid to leave until he loses consciousness. We should probably just move in here.