“Awesome!”

Ranked #1 of 143 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play. It is one of the largest history museums in the United States and one of the leading museums serving families. The Strong houses the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of historical materials related to play and is home to the International Center for the History of Electronic Games, the National Toy Hall of Fame, the World Video Game Hall of Fame, the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play, the Woodbury School, and the American Journal of Play. Together, these enable a multifaceted array of research, exhibition, and other interpretive and educational activities that serve a diverse audience of adults, families, children, students, teachers, scholars, collectors, and others around the globe.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Burlington, Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had heard about the Museum of Play for a while and wanted to go before my kids got too old. They just turned 10 and 8. I wasn't sure how my 10 yr old son would react .... he is a pretty cool guy and is really into sports & video games, not "playing with toys". His assessment ... AWESOME! My 8 yr old daughter loved it too, as excpected. I loved seeing them enjoying the Museum together!!

There is so much diversity here ....They both loved the Wegmans store, the Super Hero area and the Field of Play. The Reading Adventureland section is absolutely amazing ... hours could be spent there alone!

We didn't curl up with a book and read, but I was REALLY impressed by all the books and all the nooks where you could relax and read. Wow!!

My only disappoinment .... by the time we got the end where the "retro toys displays" were, everyone was tired and I didn't have a chance to look at them the way I wanted to!!

We were fortunate that it wasn't too busy on Easter Sunday, but it was quite spacious .... lots of room for people and strollers.

We were there for about 3 hours and could have used more time .... but we were all tired from skiing and shopping the day before. If we lived closer, I absolutely would have a membership to this museum. HIGHLY recommended!

London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Not for anyone older than 7 or 8.”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were expecting more information on the history of play which this museum does not really offer. It is a great "play world" for little kids, but not worth visiting, if like me, you are in Rochester to view the University with your 17 year old son. We left after 15 - 20 minutes.

2 Thank WendyLou W
NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Average”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is for little kids... I would ages 2-9... Anything over that will be bored. We have a 12-10-8 yr old. The youngest was fine, but the older two lasted about 20 minutes and were ready to go.

1 Thank Nik-and-Amber
Webster, New York
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“So many things to do with your child!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Best museum with so many things to do with your child. You will definitely be there all day! We had a membership for years until my daughter got too old to want to go anymore. Post office and Wegmans store were always our favorites. Butterfly garden is amazing, so many beautiful butterflies to see! Don't forget to stop upstairs to go thru the museum of old collectibles....especially all the barbies!!

Visited August 2012
Rochester, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Interesting exhibits for children of all ages, including adults”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went to the museum with someone who doesn't particularly care for museums but specifically asked me to this one. As we went in, there was a fifties diner inside-we didn't eat there so I couldn't comment on the food. The crowds were well handled a la Disney and we didn't have to wait long to get in. Two adults were $26. There are all sorts of hands-on exhibits for children and adults. There are neat techie things where you can push a button and music comes on or they explain the artifact. We concentrated on the arcade exhibit and my companion was soon smiling broadly as he played several different games from the 70's and 80's. We played a toy trivia game. The noise level wasn't bad. We also enjoyed exhibits about board games and dancing from 1910-1980. It is very well laid out and pleasing to the eye. We went on a Friday morning so there were mostly small children there but also a couple buses of high school students. We had a great time.