“Eclectic and light”

Amaya Indian Cuisine
Ranked #51 of 1,280 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern Indian flavors transformed into a contemporary gourmet experience! Pleasant, amazing dining experience.
western new york
“Eclectic and light”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My first taste of the Indian food buffet was very pleasurable. The food was light and fragrant, and seemed to have some influences from outside of India (Afghanistan?). The buffet mixed authentic Indian cuisine with American salads and starters, which neatly matched the eclectic feeling of the room. This is, after all, Amaya Bar and Grill, not "Amaya Authentic Indian Restaurant and Spice Bazaar". The bar had a considerable selections of wines and liquors (practically unheard of in a true Indian restaurant), and the decorations were very modern and classy..but not Indian. I like the contrast. You walk in and smell the aroma of Indian food at lunchtime, but the chic ceramic wear, the low light, and the dinner club style lighting make you want to come back after dark for drinks. The servers were beautiful and highly friendly. I had only one criticism. The pakora on the buffet were not accompanied by any kind of dressings (tamarind and mint chutney being the most likely). I have never seen these fried appetizers served without chutneys- whether a la carte or as part of a buffet. I mentioned this to the waitress and she took my suggestion to the kitchen. Within minutes there were 2 bowls under the chafing dish: one with mint chutney, the other with tamarind. I was very pleased with my first experience and immediately joined the loyalty rewards program. I can't wait to come back on a Saturday night and see what kind of chic and sexy people hang out at the bar.

Rochester, New York
“2 nd visit good food..silly service”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I and 5 of my friends arrived at the restaurant fairly late,about 8:30 on Saturday nite the 6th. The restaurant was only,moderately busy. We got a table right away,we ordered drinks,which took quite a while to get to the table,however ,they were very well made,nice,cold and clean! We then ordered dinner, which took a while,which was fine as we were socializing and enjoying our drinks. Well,eventually, the dinners came,but,only 4 dinners....but we are six people???? The waitress came to the table a couple times while 2 of us ( myself and another person) were with out dinners. She was clueless...clueless!! I know she took 6 orders . I decided to pipe up and ask where our orders were. She went to check and came back and said that the forgot 2 meals. It is 9 o'clock by this time and the restaurant is nearly empty. So..20 minutes later our meals arrive ....a little silly!! I went there when they first opened up about a year ago,the food was okay and the server did not know which way the wind was blowing. To sum it all up...good food,good drinks..but ,beware of the service. I must say that the owners were present but were not paying attention to what was going on 4 feet away from them. Lets see how long they last.

• Visited April 2013
AmayaBarAndGrill, Owner at Amaya Indian Cuisine, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
I am very sorry that you had a less than optimal experience at Amaya. We have reviewed the sequence of events at your last visit and apologize sincerely. I would like to assure you that we value your opinion and each aspect will be addressed appropriately with the staff.

We encourage you to visit again and let us know about your visit.
“Best Indian food in the city by far!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have never been a huge fan of Indian food because, in my experience, it has been mushy, colorless, and generally disappointing. I found out about Amaya from a friend an I am now a happy loyal diner!

Amaya's food appeals to modern tastes while offering traditional appeal. We have been to the restaurant well over 10 times and each experience has been consistent: Excellent service, fresh and tasty food, and a modern but elegant atmosphere.

I am only writing now because today was our first time at their lunch buffet and we were blown away by the value and quality of the buffet. I still can't believe the selection of entrees, sides, dessert, drinks and freshly baked naan - all for only $10!

We look forward to out next visit!

Webster, New York
“What a GREAT Suprise”
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

What a nice and pleasant surprise. My wife and I along with 3 other couples went to Amaya for dinner, out of the 8 only 3 have ever had Indian food before. Upon arrival, the staff was very welcoming, the restaurant was nice and presentable. The wait staff understood our lack of knowledge of Indian food and was very helpful to explain the menu items. As the food arrived we started on what we individually ordered, then shared with each other and soon realized that this food was simply awesome. The owner stopped by to make sure we were happy. The evening was fun and very enjoyable, we all agreed that we would be back.

I would defiantly recommend this as a place to eat, if you have never eaten Indian food before, this is the place to come and try it, you will not be disappointed.

Visited April 2013
“Great food.. But your server saved your butts on this one!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I came him with my wife and two daughters hoping your place would change my misconception of Indian food. We came at a time when there were four, maybe five huge parties that came at once. I understand the food service and how easily things can get backed up.

And backed up they did.

If it weren't for our server, Laura, I was about ready to walk out. She kept my girls laughing, my wife smiling and me, i was content with my king fisher.

She raved about the food, insisting we stay and seriously swearing by all you serve and represent. The good was DELICIOUS BEYOND WORDS!

Thanks Laura, for changing my misconception on Indian food and attitude on a good night that started bad and ended well.

Kudos to this young lady!