“Pleasantly Surprised”

Good for: Families with children
Rochester, New York
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We enjoyed this restaurant very much. The place is clean and friendly. I shared a dish with my daughter. She is a picky eater and I anticipated she wasn't going to like anything, but she actually tried almost everything we ordered. She loved the yucca fried, Spanish sausage and the fried chicken. She actually told me that she prefers the yucca fries over regular French fries. My husband ordered fried pork chops, which he said were good but dry. Of course I don't think I have ever had moist pork when it's fried. He said it was tasty, but dry. He would not order this again, bit still loved the appetizers we ordered. At the conclusion of our meal, he ordered a flancake, which was half cake and half flan. Who knew the two could be baked together. I had to roll my hubby out of the restaurant. LOL! The only thing they are missing is some soft Caribbean music to enjoy while eating. BTW: they did have a TV turned on to Nick, which kept my daughter entertained the while time. I think this is a big plus and wish more family friendly restaurants did the same thing.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank AviMom2006

Henrietta, New York
“Nice new foods.”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Interesting food with very helpful staff, clean and relaxed place.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank DRL-555
Rochester, NY
“Great value! Great food! Friendly service!”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This was a wonderful find. The restaurant opened recently and we wanted to check it out. We went once in August and returned this week with friends. I predict they will do very well.

The food is very traditional Carribean fare done consistently well. They have a menu but during the week serve a buffet. The buffet has a half a dozen meat options ranging from a very good roast pork to goat. The plates come in three sizes for $5, $7, and $9. All in our party got the medium plate which includes your choice of white or yellow rice (I'd recommend yellow), a green salad, choice of sweet fried plantain or mangu (a mashed plantain with some seasoning in it) and a choice of one meat. I got the roasted pork and loved it, my Puerto Rican friend had stewed pork and said he's definitely coming back. On our first trip I also had the stewed chicken. The chicken is pleasantly spicy but I like spicy, however, be careful of the small bones. It's prepared in a very traditional island style where the whole chicken is chopped up with a cleaver. It was delicious though. Another highlight is their house prepared hot sauce, I used a lot of it on my rice and pork.

The staff is very friendly. This is a great lunch place and a wonderful alternative to boring chain restaurants.

• Visited October 2011