“Don't Bother”

Oriens Cafe
Ranked #22 of 38 Dessert in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Italian, Cafe
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and dropped in to get a bite to eat, nice atmosphere.

While we ordered the young girl at the register stopped taking our order to fend off an irate customer.

As the older man left she made fun of his age. She also neglected to listen properly to our order. After we were served, we asked for our food as ordered. She then acted as if we were trying to get something for free. This was after we had tipped her!

Don't bother dining here.

2  Thank bellarochester

Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I moved to the west side three years ago and stumbled across this little place. I did not have my hopes up as there is a similar place on the east side that is a terrible restaurant. So, I wasn't expecting much. WOW! This was a very nice experience. Yes they would benefit from additional kitchen help as it is little slow. When we go we are looking to spend quality time together anyway so we don't mind the wait, and there is a wait, even when they are not very busy. We have tried their panini sandwiches, flatbread pizza, salads, gelato, and baked goods. I have no complaint on the food, it's fantastic. We have been back many times since our first trip. I have also brought my daughters for gelato as well. If your in a hurry then go elsewhere, if you have some time to sit and relax and actually enjoy the company you came with, then you must take a seat at Oriens Cafe!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

i scream you scream, we all scream for GELATO! they have the closest thing to Italy's gelato. I love the raspberry and fragola. It is so light and refreshing. One of our favorite summer spots! The owners are from the old country and super nice. It is a little pricey but worth it!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I always go to a restaurant to find something unique- you know that experience you do not find every day. When you walk into Gelatos (as the outside sign shows), the food looks fantastic. I had heard of this restaurant from several friends so when I was in the area a few of us went. The food is very good. If you walk in with an empty stomach you will probably leave with your arms full. They have a great variety (menus are on the counter and will take a few minutes to decide unless you are a frequent visitor).
I agree with the reviewer about the customer service- it needs a lot of work. The few workers there (for the number of people coming in and out) see to be running around with little organization. If the food were mediocre I would never come back. The staff are polite but who ever manages the place has no idea how to run a restaurant. The counter is right in the middle of all the activity so to get to the counter in itself appears to be a feat when they are busy. I watched as a couple of customers wanted to place an order but had to keep watching to see if other people got the staff's attention first.
I rated this very good because the food was at a high level. The value is average and the customer service is low (but again the staff are very pleasant). If you are a person that is easy frustrated by poor restaurant organization i would not suggest you put yourself through the frustration on a busy day. You would find it difficult.

3  Thank James R
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Gelato is sold supposedly by weight. $9.00 for one of their small pint containers, FULL OR NOT. I asked the salesgirl to please pack the gelato (since I saw she was just spooning it in and not filling the corners of the container). Since it is SO expensive, I wanted to get my money's worth. She implied that they sold it by weight anyway, so not to worry. She NEVER WEIGHED IT. I was simply charged the $9.00 a pint price. The total weight (I had a postal scale at home) was only 14.2 oz, INCLUDING the container. She was very impatient with me and really rushed me thru my purchase which included a pound of cookies. Doubt I'll go there again. They were just too snippy, the prices very high and the selection was comparable to other places in town.