“Great food - We came back for a second meal!”
Review of India House

India House
Ranked #376 of 1,363 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Founded in 1984, India House began as a small restaurant and imports store selling Indian herbs, spices, books and carry out food in the heart of the Park Avenue neighborhood of Rochester, NY. The business has since expanded to include three award-winning fine dining establishments, an express Fast Casual restaurant, a 200 person private banquet hall, and a full service Indian Grocery and Imports Store.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

You never know where to go for good Indian food when you are from out of town. However, based on other reviews, we decided to give India House a try. Even though we were dining early, we were a little worried when the restaurant was virtually empty of diners. Nevertheless, the staff was friendly and we were encouraged to choose a table to our liking. I let my wife and daughter do the ordering since they are more familiar with Indian food. Whatever they ordered, I enjoyed it thoroughly. In fact, we came back two days later to try some other choices. Once again we were among very few other diners, so I don't know how they stay in business. But they seem to also do a thriving take-out business and they have a market across the street. The prices seemed a little high for rather small dishes, but we are fairly light eaters so the portion size was not a problem.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

This used to be the place to go when Rochester for Indian food. I not had been there in several years, and went back recently for lunch. It was such a disappointment, especially compared to the quality the buffets other locations.

The selection of items on the buffet quite limited, and there was nothing spicy or very interesting. The service was poor. While I do not expect much service for the buffet, I do expect to have my water glass filled, and the plates removed. The plates at the buffet were cold, and I had a hard time finding a bowl at the desert area that I felt was actually clean. The floor in the restroom area felt like someone had washed it down with something sticky.

Overall, I feel I don't have to go back. Too bad, as it used to be quite good.

2  Thank Margaret428
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have been going to the Victor location for years. The food is great, but it has become so pricy that I only frequent a couple of times per year vs. monthly. $17.95 for a very small dish of chicken tikka masala is just too much for my budget. Then add on another $4-$5 for a small side of naan. $7 a glass for an $8 bottle of wine is just riduculous.
I love your food India house, but will have to fill my indian cravings elsewhere.

1  Thank SueHereford29
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I enjoy the broad menu one often finds in an Indian restaurant...currys, shrimp, meat dishes...I like that the restaurant has thrived in a very competitive restaurant market for over 25 years...which helps one know, it must be good! ...I like that it is small enough to be friendly, more "family like" in atmosphere. The kitchen is fresh and fast enough without feeling rushed. Good, middle of the road pricing. The India House really IS the only Indian restaurant in town, and it really IS excellent! In the Park Avenue area, go to www.indiahouse.com to see what I'm talking about!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife and I are fans of Indian cuisine, and have tried most restaurants in Rochester. We consistently come back to India House, however, for both the buffet (lunch) or menu (dinner). The food is always good, and the service impeccable. Most of the wait staff has been at this location for what seems like a decade, so for us it's like visiting old friends.

We tend to go vegetarian when eating Indian, though a chicken makhani or tandoor chicken is not unheard of from time to time. I've never really been disappointed with the food, though occasionally I'm a little disappointed with the selections at the buffet (though that's from knowledge of what isn't being offered that day more than anything). The masala chai is also phenomenal, perhaps the best I've had.

I had thought I reviewed IH before, and revisited the page to do an update, but apparently I hadn't. So, what I was going to mention is that they have recently done some cosmetic renovations, a new ceiling, mostly new floor, and a fresh paint job, that appears complete. The old interior left a little to be desired, so if this is the IH you are familiar with, you will be pleasantly surprised on a return visit.