“Old, worn out, not up to standard”

Best Western Rochester Marketplace Inn
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Needham, Massachusetts
“Old, worn out, not up to standard”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have been to the Henrietta area 15-16 times over the past 4 years to visit my daughter at RIT, staying at 6 different hotels. The Best Western Is the worst one by far. It looks like it was renovated 25 to 30 years ago. The halls are dark and dingy with very poor lighting. The carpet is orange brown from the early 1980's. The room with 2 beds is quite small. The paint is old and faded, the carpet needs to be replaced. The worst aspect was the bathroom. It contains a tub and toilet. The size is maybe 5 ft by 6 ft at most. It has a drop ceiling that has yellowed with age. The sink is outside the bathroom. There was one small bar of soap for 3 people.
We went to sleep uncomfortable with our surroundings. In the morning I went to the fitness center which had a treadmill, stationary bike and elliptical, but no cups for water, wipes or towels. The staff do not wear uniforms which makes them appear quite unprofessional.
With that we left after one night and spent the second night of our stay at a much more pleasant hotel. This Best Western needs to be gutted and remodeled entirely. I will never stay at this establishment again.
The only thing going for it is that RIT is only 10 minutes away and the mall 5 minutes away.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
James_redcoach, General Manager at Best Western Rochester Marketplace Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear George,

Thank you so much for your impute on our property. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. I would like to introduce myself to you as the new General Manager of the property. I have taken your feedback very seriously and have addressed the comments and concerns with the appropriate team members. We are going to be doing some nice changes within the next few months to better our guest's stay. I would like to personally invite you back to the property the next time you are in the area, If you choose to give us another chance at making you feel like you are home away from home while here in Rochester, please feel free to contact me personally to book the reservation.

Thank you for your time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
Cranfills Gap, TX
Reviewed May 12, 2013

From the moment I walked up to the front desk the service was exemplary. I have owned flag hotels and Victoria's thoughtful kindness was a pleasure after a long drive. She realized that I could just make the time dead line for the complementary dinner and drink offer and gave me the voucher immediately before completing the check in. The handicapped room assigned was clean, well appointed and conveniently located. I am a single woman travelling alone and Victoria carefully protected my room number assignment. The staff at this property is clearly well trained as Mac, the morning desk clerk, was also extremely helpful and quickly offered to print out driving directions to local sights of interest. This hotel has a friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms, dinner and breakfast provided and easy access from the interstate. It is my hotel in the Rochester area! Thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feed back on you stay with us! I will pass on this most lovely review on to Mac and Victoria. I hope the next time you are in Rochester visiting i have the opportunity to meet you myself and take care of your lodging needs.

Thanks Again
James Mahoney
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I Booked the trip on Price Line so did not get to pick the hotel. Was very happy with the room, beds were great, TV's are up todate, Free WIFI, everything was very clean.

There are many places (with-in walking distance) to eat at
(Jefferson Road has sidewalks on them).
Two words about the staff, "very friendly".

The FREE breakfast on the day I was there had make your own waffles, eggs, and sausage. Hot/cold cereals, 3 types of juices, coffee, toast, yogurt, and bake goodies.

Room Tip: If your Travling to Rochester to use your bike, you can ride right into the center of the City on Bi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bristol, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was traveling with an older gentleman and had some specific requests. Jennifer & Priyen were both extremely helpful, courteous and very personable.
This staff has rare traits not found in many lower priced hotels.
Thanks for making our stay so pleasant

Room Tip: Sayed twice once on 1st floor and once on 2nd floor, both were quite, comfortable and clean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Jennifer was the desk clerk when we arrived. Although she was alone and quite busy, she was very helpful with our special needs. We were on a stressful trip, but her warm smile and bubbly personality really made our short stay pleasant.

Room was clean and the free breakfast offered was very nice. The woman who worked in the breakfast room was very nice and kept things clean and hot. Scrambled eggs, yogurt, bagels, muffins, danish, waffles and more.

Because of our experience, my husband stayed there again on his way home two nights later.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've been staying at this hotel for 5 years. I'm there at least once a month because it is so close to my family. There are many other hotels in the area, but I belong to the Best Western rewards program. The BW about 10 miles away is beautiful and new and I have enjoyed staying there but it is further away. The BW on Jefferson Rd needs to be remodeled. Carpets and chairs are stained. No one seems to clean under furniture or behind or in corners. The grout in the tub area is dirty looking. Over all the place looks tired and old. It does not meet my expectations and I may be staying elsewhere soon. If it were $59 a night, I would not mind, but they charge over $100.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last night and well its average middle of the road best Western. Clean and basic. Rooms had fridges and huge Tv's. other than that nothing really stood out on the positive or negative side. Basically fits well for the business traveler.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Radiance Inn And Suites
Radiance Inn And Suites
#28 of 31 in Rochester
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester Airport - University Area
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Rochester - Marketplace
Hampton Inn & Suites Rochester / Henrietta
Home2 Suites by Hilton Rochester Henrietta
Hampton Inn Rochester-Greece

Been to Best Western Rochester Marketplace Inn? Share your experiences!