“best coffee in Rochester”

Joe Bean Coffee Roasters
Ranked #10 of 52 Coffee & Tea in Rochester
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Creative coffee culture. We are a craft bar featuring espresso, pour-overs, reserve beer, and wine. We are micro-roasters of high quality, single origin, sustainably sourced bean. Where the third wave meets a third place; we are an energetic hub centered on specialty beverage and community. Speciality coffee bar and coffee roasting facility, bar seating, raw industrial feel from the locations historic WWII era factory. Named Top 50 Coffee Shops in the Nation by The Daily Meal - 2015
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I love the coffee and the service at Joe Bean's. It is worth every penny. I either order the latte (which comes with the beautiful latte art) or I ask the baristas to choose something from the menu for me. I was never disappointed.

I take every friend and family member who visits me in Rochester to Joe Bean's. The baristas are friendly and willing to share their (vast) knowledge on coffee. Overall, I recommend this place to everyone.

2  Thank Kerokan

Reviewed December 5, 2012

For the record, I will say that while I'm a huge fan of coffee, I do not know the technicalities of roasting. I can tell you the difference between bad, mediocre, and excellent tasting coffee, though.

Joe Bean's coffee is in the excellent category. Its exotic flavors burst out in every sip. They really know how to roast coffee. Any generic, chain brand, like Tim Hortons for example, does not compare at all to a true coffee roaster like Joe Bean.

You will also receive a high quality experience that only a "real" coffee roaster will give you. First to be noted is that every barista knows the methods that Joe Bean uses to roast, and brew coffee. They will also talk to you about these methods, which in my opinion, makes the whole coffee drinking process much more pleasant. Also, these baristas are enthusiastic about coffee. Overall, they provide great service and take pride in their methods of roasting and brewing.

I would like to point out that Joe Bean uses methods of brewing that are geared toward single cup servings. Their coffee is engineered for these ways. Due to this, since whatever you order is in a sense customized just for you, it will take some time to brew. It usually takes roughly 4 to 10 minutes to brew a cup or pot, depending on which method you choose. (Methods: chemex, syphon, french press,etc.) They do not pre-make hot coffee. It is made fresh after you order.

As far as my 3 experiences have been (poor college student; can't go too much) : I have not had a bad experience. It has never been too crowded despite the smaller shop. The shop itself emits a great, friendly atmosphere, that fits Joe Bean perfectly. The coffee itself is out of this world. I have never tasted better coffee. It is very unique. I encourage anyone who is a fan of coffee to go and give Joe Bean a try. They now have a small menu that includes finger food, chocolate, beer and wine.

There are many more positives that could be talked about, but would make this review too long.

2  Thank xdviperx96
Reviewed December 4, 2012

When I lived in Rochester, I was in Joe Bean several times a week. To this day, I have yet to find a speciality cafe that matches them, and they are one of the few things that I miss about Rochester. For a coffee connoisseur such as myself, the fact that they source their own beans, roast them on site, and offer specialty brewing methods like the syphon and cold-drip (and do it all so well), really made them the only choice for coffee in Rochester.

If you are looking for a Starbucks-style drink full of syrups with milk steamed to the brink of boiling, this is not the place for you. If you appreciate the art and science that is coffee, then I cannot recommend Joe Bean highly enough. If I ever find myself back in the US, I will make it a point to head to Rochester for the sole purpose of going back to Joe Bean!

2  Thank J F
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have no idea what the other reviews are about. I know great coffee, and have had some of the best coffee places in the US. These guys are up there with the best of them. They have a pursuit of the perfect coffee. Whether it's how it's roasted, how it's brewed, or what it's served in there's no detail too small to be perfected.

Their pourover, manual brew approach is exceptional. Also, their single-origin espresso is amazing. If you go in a group, try to share a Chemex brewed coffee.

2  Thank Peter H
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Joe Bean has, quite frankly, changed my life. Their approach to coffee and espresso is utterly unique compared to everything else Rochester has to offer. Their goal is NOT to give you what you've had everywhere else (like a latte that will burn your mouth if you sip it immediately). Their goal is to slow you down and show you what coffee can and should be.

The best time to stop in is the evenings, when you have extra time to relax and enjoy what you order. Nothing is rushed, and every drink is a surprising sensory experience. They break down the flavor notes of each of their three daily coffee offerings much like you would see at a wine bar. Make sure to try it black!! You will be pleasantly surprised! It's always fresh, roasted within a week of you drinking it. One of their coffees just made it on the Good Food Award's list of finalists, so you know it's yummy!

The espresso is off the charts awesome, too, and they have a large beer, wine, and food pairings menu if you aren't a coffee fan. They'll let you try a sip of just about anything if you're unsure. Want something without caffeine? Try a Promised Land (steamed milk and honey). I always end my evenings at Joe Bean that way. :)

I've been to Joe Bean countless times, and the service is always informative and friendly. They take their professions seriously, so there isn't excessive bubbliness coming from the staff, but neither are they rude. I highly recommend stopping in and checking it out for yourselves.

2  Thank Samantha L