“Great Food - Overcharged”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Rochester, New York
“Great Food - Overcharged”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is not the first time to this restaurant. Hands-down the best greek food available in Rochester, NY Our server was a bit too sarcastic for my taste. While I wasn't overly offended by her snarky sacasm, someone else definitely could be.
The hummus and baba ganoush appy's are amazing. Falaffel and souvlaki - deelish.
Only issue with this visit to the restaurant is that we were overcharged by about $10. When we brought our bill up to the register to cash out and bring the discrepancie to our server's attention -she was nowhere to be found. This may be a decision breaker in the future when looking for a bite to eat in the downtown Monroe Avenue area.
They offer delivery servivces too, which I think is a nice touch.

• Visited July 2013

“Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Nice and simple. Greek restaurant in a small urban setting. Not a diner, but not at all pretentious. Pleasant staff. I got a gyro and I thought the portions were generous. My only disappointment (slight) was that I'd have liked more lemon in my avgolemono soup!

“Great food but lacking hygiene”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

I LOVED Astoria! My boyfriend and I would get take out from there almost every week. Vegetarian combo is delicious! Great tzaziki and humus! Pitas are delicious.

However, about 4 weeks ago I found a squished fly on 1/2 of my cucumber. Ok, I was grossed out. I threw the rest of my Greek salad out, but that wasn't enough for me to write the place off. Accidents happen. Although it sort of looked like someone used the cucumber to squish the fly, whatever.

Tonight I ordered a large Greek salad and a small beetle crawled out from under my lettuce as I was about to take a bite. Ok done.

Sorry Astoria. Love went to hate. :-/

1 Thank Marialikestotravel
Rochester, New York
“Good food - good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

On our most recent visit I had the kalamari pita. The kalamari was very good, tender and with just the right amount of seasoning in the breading. My wife swears by the hummus. We also split an order of saganaki (cheese fried & flambee'd), which is rather touchy to prepare. Theirs is pretty good, but I've had better. Ideally you need to ignite the ouzo at the table as you serve it.

Service was efficient and friendly. Prices are very reasonable.

• Visited February 2012
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Good Greek stand-bys”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We've enjoyed this tiny casual spot for several years now. On our most recent visit I had the pork souvlaki with Greek lemon potatoes, which were both well prepared and generous. My wife also was delighted with the pastisio and the lemon chicken soup. Service was prompt and genuine. Prices are very reasonable. One word of caution about dining in the Winter: the place is so small that every time the front door is opened the whole restaurant cools down considerably - bring a sweater.

Visited February 2012