“Never had this happen before!”
Review of Osteria Rocco

Osteria Rocco
Ranked #53 of 1,280 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
“Never had this happen before!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

I do a lot of client entertaining in many of Rochester's best restaurants, but I have never encountered what happened at my first visit to Rocco. Because our reservation was made only a day or so before, the only time slot open was the very first of the evening, 5:00 p.m. We were told that we are allowed 90 minutes for our reservation and if we were 15 minutes late, our table could be given away. I understand that because this is a small venue, they need to be a bit regimented in how they turn over their tables. But my issue is when we arrived at the restaurant at 4:55. We parked in the back parking lot and were met coincidentally with a waitress that was coming out the back door at the same time. We commented to her at how nice the back area was with the pumpkin decorations as we headed for the door. She stopped us with looking at her watch and saying unapologetically, "we're not open for another 3 minutes." Are you kidding me???? Seriously??? So to waste time, even though it was quite cold and drizzling rain, we walked around to the front door. Once inside, we are seated immediately. We are one of only two parties in the restaurant at this point. It's also quite clear that the restaurant just opened and the heat had not been turned on, so it was quite cold inside. And yet, we are seated directly under a ceiling fan that was on medium speed. We were freezing!!! I politely asked the hostess if she could either move us to another table or turn off the fan. Rather than immediately complying with a customer's request, she says she will "have to check!" What??? When she returns to the table she tells us that "all the tables are accounted for with reservations (although no one is there yet) but that she will turn on the heat! I really wanted to get up and leave, but I honestly was flabbergasted at the rudeness!!!! I ate with my scarf and coat on and my dining partner ate with her gloves on!!!! The food was adequate, but not nearly as good as some other local restaurants or to the extent that even others who have left reviews state. What was superb was our server Michelle. She was extremely professional, knowledgeable, accommodating and friendly. In fact we told her that she literally salvaged our Rocco experience. But with that said, I doubt that I will ever patronize this restaurant again. There are just too many places where one can go where the customer is the one that needs to be pleased and catered to and not be treated with such disrespect.

Visited November 2013
6 Thank Dcf42

Fairport, New York
“Best so far”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner last fri with some friends. What a surprise. It's been years since I've there. The blood orange martinis were fab. Ricotta, meatballs, fungi pizza, and lasagna were excellent. Definitely the best home style italian I've had in Rochester. Looking to go back soon

Visited November 2013
Rochester, NY
“Fun, urban atmosphere and great osteria/cafe menu”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This small, on-the-city-sidewalk restaurant feels like a NYC experience. During the summer months, a small, tucked-away patio is available for dining as well. The menu is fun, but even with changing specials, does not feel changeable, so over time, one tends to default to ones' favorites, which don't include many low-carb options. Ours include spaghetti with clams and a parsley-wine-butter sauce, home-made ricotta and charred bread, the thin-crust pizza options, the lasagne and the slow-cooked pork. Delicious. The wine list does change to represent different regions of Italy, which is very interesting and a fun way to learn about new wines you didn't know you loved. Staff are welcoming and efficient.

Visited October 2013
Rochester, New York
“Rocco Rocks!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have been to this restaurant on a number of occasions and it never disappoints. Our most recent visit was last Friday evening. The restaurant was very busy with a number of people waiting to be seated. We had a reservation and our party of four was seated within ten minutes of our arrival. The menu is excellent and the food measures up. My favorite by far is the lasagna which is baked in their wood fired oven. It is absolutely delicious! Since my husband ordered the lasagna, I tried the grilled swordfish which was one of the evening's specials. It was accompanied by a white bean ragu...both were outstanding! We also sampled a baked stuffed clam appetizer which was terrific.
The service is both professional and very efficient. Our waitress was friendly but not intrusive. The food comes to the table straight from the kitchen via the expediters. Serving utensils are provided for dishes that are shared which is appreciated.
Rocco has a nice wine list and the cocktails are superb.
It is worth noting that since the restaurant is small, reservations are made in two hour increments. This has never been an issue for us...we've never felt rushed, but just be aware.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank KATHY438
Rochester, New York
“Great Food!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Went to dinner at Rocco for the first time after many people had told me how wonderful it was.
I was not dissapointed. It's a very small, charming place, great serive from a very knowledgable wait staff. The food was amazing, we had grilled octopus and and charred bread with homemade ricotta for appetizers. AMAZING! For main course I had a special which was grilled shrimp over autumn veggies which was outstanding! Can't wait to go back again!

• Visited October 2013