“Will the welcome be enough to counter the negatives?”
Review of Hugo's Italian Bistro - CLOSED

Hugo's Italian Bistro
Description: Welcome to Hugo’s Italian Bistro!Enjoy a high-end casual dining experience at one of the best places to eat in Rochester, NY. Our restaurant in Henrietta offers a banquet room for groups and we also provide full-service catering for your business or personal events. Our restaurant features warm loaves of Italian bread, gourmet specialty pizzas, and other Italian dinners. Want a drink? We serve espresso and cappuccino daily. We also offer a wide selection of fine wines as well as over 15 varieties of bottled domestic brews and fine imports, including the Italian Peroni Beer.
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I tried Hugo's with a party of seven. It was a busy weeknight in the dining room, and a private party was in the front room. Everyone who worked there was genuinely welcoming - and very apologetic. We heard many apologies that evening. We had to wait about 30 minutes to order, and pretty close to another 30 for salads to arrive. Luckily, bread came pretty soon after we ordered, but several of our party didn't order the a la carte salads, so they had to make due with bread for a solid hour. Once the entrees arrived, those who ordered pasta dishes were extremely pleased. I ordered a pizza with basil and Gorgonzola (I think it was called the "verde"). It was extremely salty. We had waited so long I wasn't about to try to order anything else. One person in our party had her dinner arrive almost 10 minutes later than the others. Again, numerous heartfelt apologies, but that doesn't fill the belly. They've really dressed up the simple rectangle space that comprises this plaza restaurant. One problem - the walls are concrete block. The sound bounces around in there like a basketball court. Due to the noise I couldn't speak to any of the people who were more than one seat away from me. We were seated in the middle of the room, so perhaps the booths are more conducive to conversation. To summarize - the wait, my pizza and the noise are unlikely to bring me back to Hugo's. However, the people who ordered pasta would be happy to return.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Hugo's has just opened for all meals. I ordered the linguine Siciliani and my friend had the bolognese. Both portions were very tasty and of more than adequate size. Our server was very prompt and attentive. At about ten dollars for each entry, the price was right. This is not an elegant restaurant, but if you are looking for a good meal at a fair price, try Hugo's.