“good for vegetarians. pricey for the rest of us.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Owl House

The Owl House
Ranked #14 of 1,269 Restaurants in Rochester
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Rochester, New York
“good for vegetarians. pricey for the rest of us.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Cool place with funky art, nice back yard patio seating.. the menu had a lot of choices for vegetarians and while the food was tasty, it was a bit overpriced for me. Good bottled beer selection, great service... I liked my roast beef sandwich, the tator tot appetizer (which were the healthiest tasting tots i've ever had..) I probably wouldn't go back though for the value.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank LHO

Fort Worth, Texas
“Good menu that needs some work in execution”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

We ate here while traveling through upstate New York and it was great to find a vegetarian-friendly place with so many terrific sounding options. Very pleasant atmosphere in the patio in back of the house -- a great place to lounge and dine casually. I had the buffalo tempeh sandwich and sweet potato/carrot soup. Both were just fine but were a bit bland. The house cocktails are interesting but don't order off the menu (I ordered a classic cocktail and they got it wrong). Service was indifferent though certainly not dreadful -- but I would call it overpriced. The kids hummus plate we ordered, for example, was to come with a "baguette" but came with two 1/4 inch thick slices of bread. When we asked for more slices, they eventually brought a slice of toast and charged $3.00 for it. Overall a good choice, but could be so much better.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank idle_industriousness
“The Anti-Chain Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

This place is the exact opposite of TGIFridays, I think if they ever met there might actually be some type of catastrophic matter -antimatter event! The Owl House is located on a semi-residential side street off Monroe Ave near downtown Rochester. It is in a remodeled colonial style house; so accessibility is a problem (there are stairs going in and really no way to make it accessible given the multiple levels in the building.) That being said, it is the only negative I found. They have a variety of specialty cocktails, and a fantastic beer selection. The food is fresh, portions are good and they can accommodate just about any dietary constraint (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, dairy free). My husband and I split the chicken cigarillos, I had a cup of soup and a salad; I was stuffed. He had the lentil burger and loved it. As he said,"Usually when people try translate a meat recipe into a vegetarian one it ends up the worst of both worlds, but this is great."

3 Thank thisnan
Rochester, New York
“The owners are full of good intentions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

Incredible descriptions of food on the menu, but the real dishes were a disappointment. We counted two wimpy pieces of tofu in our soup. The smoked trout hummus was tasteless. There was more fat than meat in the BLT. The Saigon sounded great, but again, not enough tofu for the price. My companion and I decided not to order tea because we were not sure when we would see our friendly but sloooow waiter again. Last, who pays $9 for a chardonnay and $7 for a draft beer? Not this couple.

1 Thank Jack48503
ny state
“Good fresh food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Good fresh food with great vegan, veggie, or gluten-free options. Meals are made to order and dessert options are good too. Many drink selections. Gets busy and space is tight. Not kid/baby friendly. Nice atmosphere and good service. Very reasonable prices.