“Terrible service but fresh sushi”
Review of Shiki

Shiki
Ranked #210 of 1,314 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2012

You had to ask for EVERYTHING twice. The tea, the fork, the napkin. We waited for 15 minutes before even getting our water while the place was not even half full. Will not go back again.

1  Thank myopicdoll

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We thought the line out front meant it would be great sushi. When our turn came, we decided to sit at the bar and order directly from the chef. He was too busy to take orders and there was only one person handling the entire restaurant. When the food did come, it was not worth the wait, we could have eaten similar average tasting sushi at a far less crowded place.

This place seems to have potential, but its just not worth the long wait.

1  Thank h1d3m3
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I eat a lot of sushi, I have a pretty good nose for fresh fish. I went here on a date, knowing that the decor was not going to be great but on the suggestion by others that the fish was fantastic.

Unfortunately not only was the service poor and a bit rude, the tuna was NOT FRESH and was so fishy I literally had to spit out the piece of sashimi I had eaten. I eat a lot of tuna, this was beyond gross.

They were out of at least one or two common fish, so perhaps their stock was getting old or they missed an order, but any reputable fishmonger should know better. Just tell me the tuna is old and I will get something else!

Just glad I didn't get sick, but I will never go back.

1  Thank David_NY_USA
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Shiki is the best most authentic sishi joint in rochester. It is Japanese run. The fish is always super fresh and impeccably prepared. I am a nigiri fan and people into maki featuring kfc chicken or ketchup will be less impressed with this place. Their menu is traditional and their rotating menu features many delicacies hard to find in Rochester (monk fish liver, baby octopus, fried soba etc...) but mainstays in larger cities. It's unassuming exterior and location lend to it's charm. The only negative I can say is that the service can often be a little lackadaisical, accept that move on and eat some awesome raw fish!!!

Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I went for a lunch date over break. We both ordered the sushi sashimi combo lunch. It came with soup and salad. Both were your standard miso soup and Asian salad. Love the dressing, very similar to what you will get at any Japanese sushi restaurant. The sushi was fresh and delicious. A great assortment of fish. I loved that the nigiri was actually bite size. The rice underneath was not so huge that I couldn't fit it all in one bite. The meal was satisfying and I did not feel full or hungry. When my tea was low the waitress came and filled it immediately without me having to ask. Yes the place is a bit of a dive but we enjoyed our meal.