“Great Place to Send the Ladies”

Chocolate and Vines
Ranked #15 of 34 Dessert in Rochester
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A dessert and wine bar specializing in pairing artisan wines and craft beer. Set in a 1907 Victorian home.
Rochester, New York
“Great Place to Send the Ladies”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The ladies love Chocolate & Vines. The guys like it, too, but really - the ladies are loving this place. Here is why: A lot of wine. A lot of fancy chocolate and desserts. And it's all happening within a beautiful, cozy building. Guys, this is the perfect place for a date. You will earn big points with this one. And you'll enjoy yourself as well. If you're not into wine and dessert, Chocolate & Vines also offers beer and some really good cheese platters. It's always a fantastic experience.

• Visited May 2014

Rochester, NY
“Stop for Coffee and Chocolate!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Best decaf coffee I've ever had! Nice array of chocolates for an after dinner treat in a cool neighborhood with restaurants, galleries, clothing store and bakery. The owners are very pleasant and welcoming.

Visited June 2013
asbury park, new jersey
“Not What I Expected.....”
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I visited Chocolate and Vines expecting a cozy, sophisticated and interesting spot. What I found was a loud, dark and uncomfortable place with a pool table in the middle. The people next to me had both their cell phones going, their kid was playing a video game and it was so dark at my table with a hard wooden chair that I had to install an app on my cell phone to read the menu. That said, I moved out to the porch which was quieter, but cold and raining. The peanut butter bombe I had was delicious and the tea was warm and tasty. They need some kind of quiet music playing to encourage quieter conversation. They need some serious help with their ambiance. Maybe it was just an off night, but wow it was off.

Visited April 2014
Rochester, New York
“Could Have Been So Much Better!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We went here for Valentine's Day to get some wine and appetizers before a show. We were greeted right when we came in the door which was nice and our waitress was very friendly. She showed us to our table.

That's when things started going down hill. The table was tiny! (As they all were.) And the seats, though covered with a plush cloth, were terrible. I sank into mine like into quicksand. Very unpleasant. But, OK, things can still turn around, right? So we ordered two glasses of wine and a cheese platter. The wine came out quickly enough, but she had misunderstood the order and only brought one glass. And it was a skimpy one at that, MAYBE four ounces. (It should be at least five!) She apologized and brought out the other glass. Again, very friendly, so OK... She said she expected it to be very busy because it was Valentine's Day, but there was only one other couple in the place the whole time we were there. For them, I do hope it got busy later.

Anyway, just a note on parking: the business is in a converted house so the only parking is on the street. We parked across University Avenue which is a busy street. You can also park on the side street.

Bottom line: We were not impressed at all.

• Visited February 2014
Utica, New York
“A perfect way to end an evening out!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was my third visit to this establishment and I have not been disappointed. I usually like to order and try new things when I return to a place, but I cannot resist the Chocolate Truffle Gelato Zabaione cream center with caramelized hazelnuts ... simply not to miss! At the last visit I tried numerous chocolates and was impressed with the uniqueness and attention to detail of each one.
At a previous visit I was not impressed with one pairing suggestion, but it may have been simply the waiter himself giving a less than adequate pairing- he had recommended a sweet Riesling to go with a lemon truffle gelato- my criticis, of that pairing was that the gelato was very sweet, and had it been more sour, the pairing would have gone much better. Overall that is the only criticism I have had during my visits, there.

• Visited November 2013