WINNER WONDERLAND

Towpath Motel
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Rochester
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Hampshire
“budget motel w/ some ammenities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights while my daughter visited UR 10 minutes away. Very affordable, clean, safe & comfortable. My reservation was mixed up. Was given a 2nd floor king room but it didn't have enough blankets, pillows,towels or toilet paper. (Good thing I brought my own)Office was usually locked & unstaffed during posted office hours. "Continental breakfast" was only available 1 of the 3 mornings. For $60/night, it was easy to forgive & make do. Using microwave & mini fridge definitely saved us money on dining out. The Kuerig was another nice touch(I brought my own pods from home)!

Room Tip: If the owner is out of town when you stay, verify office hours with the person in his place. Also, t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SkittlesMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Towpath is a nice, small, affordable option in a great location for visiting Rochester-- straight shot down Monroe into town. My boyfriend and I came up for the first time to look for apartments.

As far as the condition of the room, it was relatively nice for a motel. Considering I've seen quite a variety of "old motels," the Towpath had great accommodations. For one- the pillows were wonderful, best motel pillows I've experienced. Yes, the place is old, but it's well-kept, and was not dirty. The bathroom was clean, and there was a mini-fridge, microwave, iron/board, nice TV, blowdryer, and wi-fi in the room, as well as a keurig! We were able to park right outside the room, and other than a horrendous family of screaming children that arrived the day we left, everyone was quiet. So overall, the room was a solid B+. It's a motel, people. It's cheap, but by no means inadequate.

We had an interesting experience with the service at the motel. We arrived late the first night, due to a delayed flight. The man at the front desk was not quite friendly, and I was so exhausted that I admittedly did not pay much attention when he took my information and credit card. Once in the room, I realized that I had prepaid for the reservation, so had now been charged twice! The next morning I went to the office, hesitant to confront the employee from last night. That morning, a young gentleman was at the desk. I explained what had happened, and he looked up my reservation and apologized for the error, and gave me a refund promptly. He was so nice and amiable, we chatted for a bit. He asked us about our visit, and gave us some input on where to look for apartments. He said his family owned the Towpath, and that they even rent one room as an apartment for a student. For the rest of our stay, we updated him on our findings and conversed about the town. He was really the highlight of our stay at the Towpath; it was very refreshing to have someone personable especially when staying in a new city.

I would definitely recommend the Towpath. It's affordable and clean, not glamorous but has a family touch.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank laurenea21
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a small, older motel. The rooms were clean & comfortable with pine tables & entertainment center/dresser. The bathtub, toilet & tile were new-not sure about the sink. Water pressure was good. There was a hair drier, iron & tabletop ironing board, microwave & minifridge, flatscreen TV. We were on the second floor & it was quiet, not much traffic. This was the only place I've stayed that did not have a folder or binder with info about the motel, lists of emergency numbers, churches, restaurants, or local attractions. There was a phone book & a schematic for fire extinguishers & exits was posted. Desk clerks were friendly. Breakfast was limited, as expected for the low room rate. Would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mary320
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Rooms currently are fairly old and bathrooms are very old looking. We stayed there for graduation weekend (RIT and UR and also Lilac festival) so there was literally nothing else of a reasonable price. Honestly for the price the stay was just fine- clean, not too far from the city.

They seemed to be in the midst of renovating, so maybe in the future it will be even better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amber B
Finger Lakes Wine Country, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visited this motel this past weekend for a quick over night so we could go to dinner and have wine and not drive back home to the Finger Lakes. Big mistake choosing this place.

From the moment we entered we were skeptical. First, the front desk guy, an employee, not the owner examined my identification like he thought I was a criminal. He seemed leery of renting me a room.

For $60ish we were the only guests this past Sunday night?!? Now we know why. In fact the room was so bad we left and went to the Holiday Inn express down the street.

The room reeked of perfume. Bad. The room was tidy but creepy with worn carpet, a lumpy bed and a cold, musty room covered up by...you guessed it perfume.

The bathroom looked like someone had used it before us as the products were scattered about. We used the bathroom, turned up the heat, looked at one another and said at the same time, "let's go".

My only regret, not stopping by the desk and demanding a refund. Avoid this property unless you are without other options

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carl S
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked through Hotwire, and utilized their "blind booking" option. I have done this nearly 100 times with Hotwire, and never once was unhappy. Consider this place the reason I am contemplating never using Hotwire again.

The people were nice, and it is a family owned establishment. However, it is not a "hotel". It is a roadside, "trucker-esque" establishment that has all the aesthetic appeal of a serial killers childhood home.

Maybe it's Hotwire's fault for including this place as a "2-Star HOTEL" when in fact it is a local roadside motel.

Again, the people were nice, but my family and I simply couldn't escape the feeling that we could get stabbed here by a truck driving psychopath. This place is not for me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JS1969847
towpathmotel, Owner at Towpath Motel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Please call me as this person has also left a negative review of another Rochester hotel and what they are saying is very insulting and should not be allowed. Have you verified this as this entire review makes no sense

Silas Patel
President
Towpath Motel
585-313-8087
Corning, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

the staff was excellent at explaining everything very good service and very nice rooms compared to most motels that you would typically stay at bed was nice and comfortable and clean the bathrooms were sharp had hbo with the cable and very up to date and even had smokers rooms i would definently stay there again no questions asked

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Joshua H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Comfort Inn Rochester Monroe Avenue
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester-East
Radiance Inn And Suites
Radiance Inn And Suites
#25 of 30 in Rochester
Quality Inn Rochester Airport
Courtyard Rochester East/Penfield
Holiday Inn Express Rochester - University Area

Been to Towpath Motel? Share your experiences!