“A Victorian Farmhouse Gem!”
Review of Ellwanger Estate

Ellwanger Estate
Ranked #2 of 9 Rochester B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was attending an admitted students orientation with my son, at the University of Rochester and called the Ellwanger Estate to see if they had an opening for one night while my son stayed with a friend. Rosemary, kindly agreed even though it was on short notice, has a two night minimum and she had scheduled plans. I chose the Inn because it was one of two B&B's closest to the University of Rochester, about 1.5 miles. It is located in a neighborhood of other large beautiful older homes, near Mt. Hope Cemetery. It is not too hard to find. The house sits behind an old stone wall and the gardens are the front yard. (Since it was early Spring, the gardens were not in bloom yet). The driveway can be easily passed because the B&B sign is not very visible from the street, It is located on a busy street so there is traffic behind you and it is hard to drive slowly while looking for the house and driveway. The driveway is a narrow gravel path which leads to Carriage house and main house. The parking can be tricky if there is another function or a lot of guests. There was a shower going on when I arrived and there were limited spaces to park. There were also cars parked along the driveway which made it impossible for two cars to pass if you were leaving or arriving.
The house is a beautiful Victorian farmhouse with a lot of character. I entered through a side enclosed patio that smelled wonderful. Rosemary greeted me but was in a hurry due to her scheduled plans. A quick tour of the house was given along with the keys. She recommended some restaurants before she left. The Baby shower guests remained, the big open living area made for the perfect setting for a small function. However, the noise does radiate up to the second level where the bedrooms are located. My room, the Serene Retreat, was nicely decorated with all the comforts of a B&B. The ceilings are high so the rooms tend to be on the cooler side. Rosemary provides a small space heater and heating blanket for that purpose. Those did come in handy the night I was there because the temperatures outside dipped to 35 degrees. The Romanesque bathroom had a very interesting mural textured wall. All the amenities were supplied with lovely soft towels and designer bath products. The tub had a hand held shower which was not really conducive to obtaining a shower but more like a bath. If you like stand up showers, I would not stay in this room. The linens and pillows were very soft but the bed was more on the firmer side.
The Inn provides all comforts and character that you would expect, including a fresh, homemade full breakfast made by Rosemary which is served on fine china and glassware, in the lovely dining room. One thing I did notice at night, after I came back from dinner, was that the lighting in the staircase area is lacking. The lights are motion censor lighting, good for conserving energy but makes it difficult to see while walking up the steps and in the hallway, especially if you are not familiar with the layout of the Inn.
There are no TV's in the rooms but Rosemary provides a downstairs sitting room with a TV. There is Internet access throughout the Inn and many books to choose from if you are a reader.
I would return to the Inn to try another room. Rosemary is redecorating one of the suites. Also, I would like to see the gardens in bloom. Kudos to Rosemary, the Inn keeper, for maintaining a lovely Inn. My stay at the Ellwanger was peaceful and in just the right location while in Rochester.

Room Tip: Serene Retreat overlooks the gardens but does not have a stand up shower. The other suites have sta...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JAMAClevelandArea

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We booked for 2 nights and liked it so much we stayed an extra day. The Serene Retreat is a comfortable room with plenty of space and a decorator's touch. The cozy comfy bed was appreciated after a full day of sightseeing adventures. The private bathroom has a Venetian theme with wonderfully artistic finishes. Very clean and all the amenities you could ever need.

The house is really something special. So many details! What a grand place! Gorgeous woodwork on the doors and trim. Solid hardware.

Rosemary is an excellent host and made us feel right at home. Her suggestions for restaurants and shopping were right on! Breakfast each morning was delicious, and nutritious. Every day was something different, creative and satisfying. The table was set with lovely cutlery and beautiful linens and the food was served on china.

Outstanding hospitality, wonderful accommodations and great location. This place is a treasure. It is the perfect home base for adventures to the George Eastman House and the Art Gallery.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Do not look any further for a Bed and Breakfast in Rochester. The Ellwanger Estate is a beautifully maintained home, a "hidden gem" nestled in the Highland Park area.
The home and rooms reflect the hospitality Rosemary, the InnKeeper, provides to each guest. The Estate is clean, inviting and establishes a feeling of home from the moment you arrive. Rosemary thoughtfully toured my family through her estate and our suite of rooms; every detail to ensure our comfort was pointed out.
It was my family's first time in Rochester; Rosemary was quick to provide many excellent selections for dining (even with menus on hand!!)
Our rooms catered to our every need. They were spacious, luxurious and very well maintained.
The breakfasts were fresh, delicious and very filling. As another reviewer pointed out, try the homemade butter/jelly/jam- really GOOD!
The Ellwanger Estate made every effort to ensure my family's trip to Rochester was memorable, relaxing and the highest level of customer satisfaction possible. Thank you Rosemary! It was our privilege to experience the Ellwanger Estate. 5 stars!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Ellwanger in July, 2012. The home is beautiful and Rosemary will fill you in with as much history as you would like to know. We stayed in the Victorian suite which lives up to it's name. The room and private bath were very clean and filled with amenities, if needed. It's very close to the Genessee Walking Trail, Mt. Hope Cemetary and Highland Park if those types of things interest you.

Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, yogert, artisan croissants, homemade pear butter (even if you're not a pear lover - don't knock it until you try it - it was wonderful), and a breakfast caserole, coffee and juice.

This is absolutely a B&B I would stay in again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lorraine Y
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The Ellwanger was recommended by a contact at the Univ. of Rochester. My husband and I love staying at B and B's. Wow, was this a treat. I grew up in Rochester and didn't know this gem existed. This trip was a pleasure/business trip, especially for my husband who needed to work. Rosemary was wonderful. She was extremely attentive to making our stay very comfortable from accomodations, meals and treats as well as recommending restaurants in the area. We hope to return when the gardens are in bloom. Frankly, I think this probably the nicest B and B we've stayed at since we started stayinmg in B a nd B's. Ellen K

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My friend and I were privileged to stay at this Estate last weekend. It was a lovely experience from the moment the car pulled in to the carpark and Rosemary came out to greet us.

Some people express hospitality as a seamless gesture from heart to action. Over the course of the weekend, we came to know that owner and steward Rosemary Janofsky has this gift. Always helpful and friendly, always warm but respectful of privacy, she made our stay comfortable and happy. She loves this estate and understands the responsibility of sharing it with guests, and the city. It's a lovely place, with comfortable places to sit and enjoy the day both inside the house and outside.

Our guest room had extraordinarily comfortable mattresses, pillows, and a bathroom stocked with sophisticated toiletries----and to my delight, a claw foot bathtub with bath pillow. I took baths both days. Slathered myself in lovely smelling natural lotion, emerged wearing one of the provided bathrobes. Heaven.

Happily, Rosemary also enjoys cooking. Her evening desserts and morning breakfasts were sensational. The cheery, light yellow breakfast room looked out onto part of the garden, and a massive beech tree. What a perfect background to enjoy croissants with fresh butter and pear butter (made from garden pears); steel cut oatmeal and warm cream; savory frittata and bowls of fresh fruit. I'm a coffee drinker and hers was tops. Guests share the dining table, and the conversations were always pleasant and upbeat and informational.

We spent the daytime hours on Saturday walking the Mount Hope Cemetery adjacent to the Estate, and would have continued to the beautiful park had my knees allowed. The Ellwanger Estate gardens offered a beautiful place to simply sit and enjoy a Fall day outdoors, share a cup of tea, and commune with the house black cat---who also has good taste, as she had selected the Ellwanger Estate as her home some time ago. Hers was the last face we saw as we departed on the gravel drive to the main road on Sunday. I recommend this lovely place, and will return in the Spring, when the gardens are in full bloom.

Room Tip: There is one room with two double beds, the Victorian Room. We found it to be spacious enough to al...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The Ellwanger B & B is a wonderfully appointed historic building. The bedroom was immaculate, quiet, large and most comfortable. The common rooms are warm and welcoming. Rosemary's breakfast was bountiful and delicious. It was delightful walking in the neighborhood - beautiful Highland Park and (believe it or not) one of the first and finest urban park cemeteries in the country (designed by Olmsted). I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple