“Consistently good food”

The Gate House Cafe
Ranked #32 of 1,366 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Pizza, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Please see our website for the most recent menu and pricing.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My friends and I visit the Gate House for dinner at least once a month or so. It's one of my favorite spots to eat in Rochester. It has a great atmosphere, although it can get a bit loud, and consistently good food at decent prices. Although pizza and burgers are the heart of their menu, it's not a greasy fast food joint. I typically try their specials - the chef is always coming up with an interesting new combination of flavors. One of my favorites was a pizza with candied jalapenos along with avocado and a few other toppings thrown on. Delicious! My only complaint about this place is that they don't take reservations for small groups. On the weekends, and even some weekdays, you can plan on waiting for an hour or more to be seated and the bar area can get pretty crowded. Other than that, it's a great place!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Food was just ok... My sisters soup was lukewarm and had to be sent back. I got the Duffy burger which had great potential but I asked for the meat to be cooked medium and it came back half medium rare and the other half was rare. Also the burger was so messy I needed a wet nap. I left feeling sticky anexpert very thirsty! The atmosphere was extremely loud you basically had to shout at one another. The poor wait staff has to wear these horrible bland outfits unflattering we felt bad for them.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We had heard so much about The Gate House and the burgers. We tried going on one occasion but it was too busy and they do not take reservations for less than six people on the weekends, so we left. I have to say, it was not as amazing as what we had read. It was a long wait though it wasn't busy and the service was ok. The server did not come back to check on us for quite some time. The Wease burger was done as I had ordered but the flavor combination was lacking something. Maybe worth a second chance?

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Wonderful brick pizza, well worth the visit. The toppings are creative and give a new taste experience.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

The food was very good and it was quiet in the garden. Not so quiet inside. I. A great location near the Memorial art gallery also the service was good