“Great breakfast pizza”

The Gate House Cafe
Ranked #31 of 1,314 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Pizza, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Please see our website for the most recent menu and pricing.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have been to Gate House several times and everything has been excellent, but this visit for brunch included breakfast pizza that was outstanding and unique.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had dinner last week at the Gate House. My roommates and I were very excited to try a new restaurant in downtown Rochester and we had heard great reviews from friends and colleagues.

We had dinner around 9pm on a Thursday night. The restaurant seemed under staffed and it appeared there was no manager on duty. I would estimate we waited about three minutes for a server to acknowledge the three of us once we had been seated by the hostess. The server seemed friendly and took our drink order, however they did not tell us about the specials or offer any recommendations.

Our water glasses were empty for the majority of dinner, we felt rushed (server would ask how dinner was and already be at another table before we could answer) , it was difficult to get the attention of any server or employee for that matter, no one was offered another drink when their drinks were finished during dinner, the pizza was okay (the sauce tastes like tomato paste- no oregano or spice or Parmesan in the sauce) but crust and asiago cheese tastes great. I thought my roommates burger and fries tasted great.

Overall, there should have been a MOD on duty. I think our server was overwhelmed with tables. And, the best thing to do as a server even when you are in the weeds is acknowledge your tables. Say you will be there in one minute, rather than avoiding eye contact and acting like a guest is satisfied when you know they are unhappy with their experience. Will likely never go back.

1  Thank Evan C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Good food: loved the zucchini fries and flatbreads we shared. The atmosphere was so so but it was a trendsetter in the Village Gate before all the other restaurants cropped up. I have not been back there in over a year, maybe longer, and wish that I remembered to eat there. It's good.

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Their gate plate is the best in rochester. I love their hot mocha coca on on cold evening. Definitely recommend making reservations as this trendy place gets overcrowded and the wait times are long. Not a good place to take anyone hearing impaired, it's very loud!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Always a good meal here! Their burgers are good, had an awsome fish fry once, and their pizzas are good as well.