“Too expensive for the fare.”
Review of Lento

Lento
Reserve with OpenTable
Lento is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 1,289 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: University Ave.
Pittsford, New York, United States
“Too expensive for the fare.”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Nice location in Village Gate. The appetizers (a Pate and Calamari) were good. The main course was 14 oysters (good) for the wife and essentially a pork chop dish for me (not very inspiring). The cost of the dinner, $122 for two including the tip, was way over the top given the relatively simple meal, only two glasses of Pinot Grigio and no dessert. There are much better restaurants in Rochester if you want to spend that much. Lastly their online reservation system booked us for the wrong day - fortunately they had a table for us on the day we showed up.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Geoff R

Rochester, New York
“What happened?”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was not my first dining experience at Lento. I have had very good food before my most recent visit. Something has either changed for the worse or it was an off night for the chef.
We were a party of four celebrating a birthday. We started at the bar and that was spot on-good thing considering what was to follow.
We ordered the artichoke appetizer which was greasy although the aioli dipping sauce was good. We also ordered the Moroccan spiced chick peas which were a zero in the flavor department.
Our salads were also good but then there were the entrees. Orders placed were, two of the halibut specials ordered one dish that was comprised of home made sausage and calamata olives in a red pepper sauce with gnocchi. It was incredibly salty. Both of the fish dishes were the same-terribly salty and my husband was not even sure if his fish was as fresh as it could have been. My entree tasted the best which isnt saying a lot but the presentation was the worst at the table. In fact I was embaressed to have it set down in front of me. I had ordered the short ribs with kale and spaetzle. I imagined that the three components of this dish would some how be arranged on the plate seperately. It arrived in a bowl, one large blob of shredded meat, spaetzle and large pieces of stringy tough kale all mixed together. I hate to be harsh but it looked like something that I might feed to my dog or something that I might have fed to my dog. Sorry.
When we spoke to the waiter about our dissapointment in our meals he was very professional about it apologized. We should have sent the food back but it would have been every single meal!
We were offered complimentary desserts which was a nice gesture.
Im hoping that this was a one time "off" night for someone in the kitchen but im afraid to try again and have a similar experience especially at these prices.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank vgd123
“Hidden gem, perfect meal truly”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very...very nice; setting, vibe, menu, drinks, staff and more. The locals will tell you this is a "vegetarian" restaurant. Its veg, vegan, meat and more. If you are a vegetarian your be VERY pleased, if you love QUALITY meats like myself you will also be very please. Farm to table folks...slow food, not slow service. 5 stars, CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK!!

THE resturant to hit if you only have one dinner in Rochester.

Visited May 2013
“creative local cuisine (and you'll learn your meat parts too)”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was our second stop at this very nice urban restaurant. We weren't disappointed on the return trip; had an excellent meal and another good poutine experience for our fry-loving son! Agree with previous reviewer's comment about lack of gluten free options (nearly all the entrees had some element of gluten - cous-cous, farro, pasta under all the seafood options. That's a problem that really should get some attention.) However, I opted for the steak and had perhaps the best filet in a long, long while. Did need to push the breaded onions aside:( But the meat was perfectly cooked, and lovely roasted root veggies. Do not miss coconut curried lentil soup. Hubs loved his spicy sausage gnocchi. While our server was quite busy, he did a great job. Would return if we find ourselves in Rochester again.

• Visited April 2013
Rochester, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't go if you are hungry”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We just got home from our first (and last) visit to Lento at Village Gate. Positives: The food is very natural in every way with unique choices that you don't see at your local restaurants. The atmosphere is eclectic and fitting of a "downtown" restaurant.
We were very excited about coming to Lento. I need gluten free so I called to make sure that they could accommodate my needs and I was assured that they could. "Gluten free is no problem," I was told. We were seated next to a large group. I asked the hostess for a gluten free menu but she said to ask our server. We waited an extended time for our server who was preoccupied with the group. When he finally came to our table (15 minutes), I asked our server for a gluten free menu and he left, again, for an extended time. I finally got my menu only to find that all entrees were crossed off leaving me with two choices, the thirty something steak or the fourteen dollar burger (I chose burger by default).
My wife ordered duck ($32) and my son Halibut stew ($25). Again we waited and waited while our server took care of the group. Finally my wife & son got bread with their meals being served simultaneously. My burger & fries were tasty but MICROSCOPIC. Same with the others entrees. I realize that a bunless burger looks small but 3 inches wide?
In short, tasty food but about the size of appetizers. Terrible service due to our server doting on the larger group. I actually flagged him down to order dessert. What a let down.
We left hungry and spent over $100 without salads or appetizers. We won't be back.

• Visited April 2013