“(4.5 stars) Affordable stadium, friendly atmosphere”
Review of Frontier Field

Frontier Field
Ranked #10 of 116 things to do in Rochester
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I don't get out to Frontier Field as often as I should, normally when people come in from out of town and bring up doing so. Last night was one of those occasions.

bought tickets in advance at the box office, as we had seven in our group and I wanted to sit in block rather than stretched out over a row, and the website will only give you a row. Walked up, said I wanted a 3/4 block, gentleman behind the glass knew exactly what I was looking for and patiently worked with me from there. We wound up about 8 rows back of first base, excellent seats, and $11 each. This is an affordable luxury.

Lots of parking nearby, $6, reasonable. Stadium is easy and safe to walk to from parking.

Concessions are plentiful and a great bargain. Most in our group wound up with roast beef sandwiches they loved, and were surprised at the reasonableness of the meal pricing ($8). My wife wound up getting a chicken french sandwich ($6), I stayed with beer and peanuts. Plenty of choices for everyone, and concessions were open until the top of the 8th inning.

The crowd was enthusiastic enough during a what turned out to be a 3-1 game, with all runs manufactured. Full of your typical minor league promos, one of the kids caught a frisbee that made her night, and after the game I caught the attention of a trainer/player/someone hanging out in front of the dugout, and he graciously tossed the ball he had to the other kid in our group. Our out of town guests are on the tail end of a long road trip through the northeast, and their dad said in no uncertain terms the kids (7 & 10) had the best night of their trip to date.

As an added bonus, we didn't know beforehand, but there were post game fireworks that capped up an outstanding summer evening for everyone.

The only down sides I'll give it are the piped in music can be a little loud and annoying, and the stadium has no real roof to speak of (this was a major bone of contention during the construction many years ago), so the light, one inning rain we got had many scrambling to go under the stands.

Overall, this is an outstanding value for a group outing, or just a couple. You can go knowing you won't be gouged and will enjoy a quality experience.

All reviews
"great seats"
in 6 reviews
"city skyline"

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spend a lot of time visiting ballparks with some family members. This year, we've started adding minor league stadiums to the docket. I don't think you can base such a review on the baseball, AAA is what it is. So: Parking, excellent. Plenty, cheap, close; View: not particularly exciting, kind of drab; facility: I agree with the assessment "mini-Camden Yards," a generally nostalgic feel; Food/drink: excellent food, excellent prices. I only have my home minor league teams (Altoona Curve and State College Spikes) with which to compare, but the quality of the food is on par with Altoona and laps State College. All three have excellent pricing, but I'd just spent twelve bucks for a can of Bud in Rogers Centre in Toronto, that'll taint your opinion.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great retro style stadium, excellent sightlines, helpful staff, good parking, easy access, fun experience.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The baseball fans are all very nice. The game was boring as the score was 0-0 in the 9th inning, but in the 10th innings the Red Wings won. The fireworks display was very good. Caution when going to a game - pay attention. The woman directly in front of me got hit by a foul ball. Neither she nor I were paying attention. I do not believe she was hurt seriously. They had a medic with her immediately. The people of Rochester do an excellent job supporting their AAA team.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Rochester Red Wings are always fun to watch, but Frontier Field makes it a great night. This easy to find field has simple parking (and not too much $) with all kinds of local food and your ballpark standards. Music and games between innings make it more fun for kids. Fred Costello, a Rochester classic, plays the organ for the crowd and the folks who work there always fill the seats with all kinds of clubs, schools and groups. Great ballpark. Clean and not a bad seat in the house.