“Excellent place to visit”

George Eastman Museum
George Eastman Museum Admission
Ranked #4 of 148 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The George Eastman Museum is located in Rochester, New York, on the estate of George Eastman, the pioneer of popular photography and motion picture film. Founded in 1947 as an independent nonprofit institution, it is the world's oldest photography museum and one of the oldest film archives. The museum holds unparalleled collections-encompassing several million objects-in the fields of photography, cinema, and photographic and cinematographic technology, and photographically illustrated books. The institution is also a longtime leader in film preservation and photographic conservation.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

It is an amazing place to visit seeing that George Eastman himself lived there(founder of Kodak. On display is the animals he hunted. The places he visited all around the world. And the story behind how he lived.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Not only do I love the grand home and gardens of George Eastman (such a huge part of Rochester's history) but enjoy the ever changing photo exhibits. One of my favorite things to do in Rochester.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Eastman House itself is attractive to visit, but the accompanying material is incoherently presented. I'd hoped to come away with a firm grasp of the biography of George Eastman, but what is offered is a bit of a jumble. Similarly, there's an interesting collection of antique cameras, but no attempt is made to organise them in a way that leaves the visitor with a mental model of the history of photography. Missing completely - and potentially interesting - is an account of the decline and fall of Kodak in the modern era.

1  Thank euchromatopsia
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Took the 45 minute long tour in September 2012. Amazing home from a somewhat quirky, eccentric millionaire. Great to see the home and hear about the man. Great exhibits on the way inside too. Drawbacks: a lot of the home is not open for viewing and at $12 each I thought it was a bit pricey.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I just loved going here! We had a little trouble finding it using the internet directions so we got our trusty Garmin out and she led us straight there. When we pulled in, we noticed they were having a plant sale with plants from the gardens of the estate. Needless to say we were thrilled to make a purchase.

There are 3 tours: the museum, the house and the gardens. I would suggest going to all 3. Yes, each one is about 45 minutes long and you can do a self-guided tour, but the guides bring a lot of information and understanding to the things you're looking at. They readily answer questions and are quite knowledgeable. We had 3 different guides and every one of them was excellent! Don't ignore the gardens tour - it was fascinating.

We were lucky enough to visit during a special traveling tour of outdoor artwork called the Lost Birds-Sculptures by Todd McGrain. They were so beautiful and went so well in the Eastman gardens that I think they should somehow purchase them to remain.

My understanding is that the exhibitions change frequently in the museum. Also, if you want to see something from the archives you can if you call and set up an appointment. Just to hold an original reel of The Wizard of Oz in my hands would be enough for me!