“Frustrating Disappointing Experience”

Cuisines: American, Italian, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Alaxander & East Avenue
Description: The Grill at One is a compliment to the well-known nightclub "One". Thoughtful food in a modern & trendy, but casual atmosphere. A giant bar and 28 foot projection screen with area photography make for a fun atmosphere. A fireplace, lounge type music and large windows make it a great place to eat, drink, lounge, dance and people watch. A modern american and creative menu changes with the seasons, incorporating traditional food with some new-age flair. Features include gourmet burgers, aged steaks, pasta dishes, fresh seafood and crisp salads. Small plates are also abundant and great for sharing. A "from scratch" kitchen with Chef driven specials and in house made pasta, cheese and bread. High quality ingredients by way of constant contact with Boston-based seafood purveyors and local produce farms. An extensive wine & beer list and signature cocktails round out the dining experience. The Grill at One can also accommodate private events for parties of 20-300 people and also features a private dining room for up to 18 people. An Outdoor, second story deck provides seating when weather permits. Enjoy our wonderful wine selection reasonably priced to compliment any meal.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We arrived for dinner at 5:45 p.m. (with a reservation), as we had tickets for an 8:00 p.m. show. The table next to us was seated about 30 minutes after us. They were immediately waited on and received their food before we were given an opportunity to order. Throughout the entire ordeal, the owner and waiter kept apologizing to us, indicating that the kitchen was overwhelmed. We kept getting false reports that our food was coming shortly. Meanwhile, the table next to us finished their dinner before we even received our entrees. By the time the dinners arrived, I had indigestion from the stress of waiting and waiting and worrying that we were going to miss our show. By 7:20, our dinners still had not yet arrived at the table. I was forced to take the food in a to-go box. Still apologizing as we were leaving, the owner offered no consolation for the poor service. Though the food is decent, my dining experience was ruined by the undue stress and that fact that once it arrived, we only had time to put on our coats and depart. Being forced to take the food to go is not my idea of a fine dining experience.

There are newer reviews for The Grill at One

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Service was really, really good. The server immediately told us about the special happy hour and how long we had left to order it. She was pretty prompt with drink refills and dessert recommendations.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

My husband and I had our wedding reception here in July, 2011. It was an amazing event with wonderful food, wonderful space, and a great staff. Mark, the head waiter, was amazing. Jay, the head chef/manager is amazing, and Billy, the kitchen chef, is THE BEST. Food is amazing all the time. Setting is very upscale and feels like a NYC nightclub. This is one, if not the best, restaurant in Rochester!

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We had a great dinner at One before the Christmas holiday. Highly recommend the Sea Bass, it was perfect. We will definitely be back the next time we are in Rochester. $5 cosmos anytime is a great deal too!

Reviewed January 1, 2011

We dined here for the first time last night (New Years Eve) The hostess greeted us promptly and was extremely friendly. We arrived 15 minutes before our reservation time and were pleased that our table was ready.

The service is very much a "team effort." It was clear who our server was, but four or five others also brought things to our table throughout. Our server was friendly, but seemed somewhat scattered. He was anxious to get our drink order before we had even looked at the wine list (and again while we had been looking for only a moment) but was somewhat absent for the remainder of the evening. My water glass was empty for most of the evening, for example.

We ordered a nice bottle of Pinot Noir. Once I approved the bottle, he proceeded to pour over a third of the bottle into each glass. The pour was way too heavy, especially for Pinot Noir.

The calamari was very good, but got cold quickly, as the room we were in (upstairs) was cold when we first arrived. The complimentary starter was brought to the table by someone AFTER we received our appetizer and he said "sorry, this was supposed to come out earlier."

When our entrées arrived, mine had the wrong side dish. I felt a bit awkward sending it back, because the person who brought it over was not our server. Unfortunately, I finished my entrée before the side dish arrived. I joked that it was my dessert. I had the sea scallops, which were very good (two of the four had some sand, but what are you going to do?) The risotto, when it finally arrived, was a bit overcooked. My partner had the braised beef short rib with black truffle macaroni and cheese and a side of Kim Chi. He enjoyed everything very much. Finally, when the check arrived, both side dishes (the incorrect one and the correct one) were on the bill. Once I pointed it out, our server quickly apologized for forgetting to remove the incorrect one and made the change.

This was an example of an otherwise great dining experience having several minor glitches. It could be that it was New Years Eve and they were completely booked. We are not overly critical of such things and will definitely return at some point.