“More than meets the eye.”

Jerry & The Mermaid
Ranked #2 of 115 Restaurants in Riverhead
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Description: Open Seven Days a Week Year Round. Located directly next to the Hyatt Place East End Hotel and Atlantis Long Island Aquarium! Just minutes from Tanger Outlets and a short drive to the Hamptons or LI wine country. Arrive by car or by boat using one of Jerry's complimentary docking slips!
Manorville, New York
“More than meets the eye.”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My Friends and I had dinner at this hidden, casual restaurant. Jerry and the Mermaid which is in downtown Riverhead was a Great find and an amazing experience. The food was Great and the atmosphere was Romantic so i wish i had taken My Girlfriend that night. what really stood out though was the service. Everyone in there was friendly and seemed to work together like a well oiled machine. Our server was Lynne and man she was Friendly and funny. She made me feel like family. I think i spent most of the night talking to her and the Bartender Tom rather than eating My food. Never before have I had so much fun at a restaurant. I had as met the owner Jerry I think. He was a pleasurable young guy who was very interested in my food and How my Life was going. All in all it was a great choice and we completely ended up there by accident. There is more to this small place than meets the eye. I cant wait to take My Girlfriend Here. Anyone who hates this place must be pretty boring people.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank brian M

Medford, New York
“WOW”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was there before the hotel was built and enjoyed the food very much and the price. I went there this evening and parked next to a beat up old Camaro with a big cooler in it (I was thinking beer and fish) We were met by a disorganized waitress and bartender( who ask we where she knew me from then glared at me all night trying to figure it out w/ no luck). we sat and Lynne, the waitress (who said my name-Lynn_ about 10 times that evening without acknowledging my partner) took our drink order and came back to tell us the soup de jour and the specials. I thought specials were moderately or less than normal menu prices, I was wrong, it was double+. We were served our salads right away and I was charged for my blue cheese dressing?????. and in between as we sat for at least 25 minutes before our medium rare steak and scallops arrived (a meal it usually takes me 10 minutes to make) THE WAITRESS SAT NEXT TO ME IN A CHAIR AT THE TABLE (Crushing my bag) and told us our food was being prepared NOW????????? . we were 2 out of 6 seated in the whole place and the others were on there entrees or desserts. We received the bill and were shocked. It was overpriced for 2 entrees 25 minutes wait time and 2 glasses of wine w/ tip 100.?? This isn't MANHATTAN. Despite the uncomfortable feeling the staff gave me the food was amazing but I will never go there again. just because you dress a place up doesn't mean its still not a gin mill. I wanted to try Tweeds, but nnooooooooo. lmao. next time.

• Visited January 2013
foodieforlifeNewYork, Owner at Jerry & The Mermaid, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for saying that the food was amazing. We do appreciate some positive feedback in your review. My staff and I are deeply sorry you didn’t enjoy your dining experience in its entirety. We strive to make all of our customers happy, and I wish you would have mentioned something while you were in the establishment. I was there cooking you food and I do believe I stopped over at your table personally to check and see if you were enjoying everything.

As for as the old Camaro parked in the lot; I apologize that is was displeasing to you. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything I can do about the vehicles customers/hotel guests/marina members drive and may have parked outside.

The price of your bill may have seemed slightly on the higher side, but you ordered the two most expensive items we serve. The steak was a 16oz Marinated, Certified Angus Rib Eye (best quality). The scallop dish you ordered is local Peconic Bay Scallops. They are delicious, but they are very expensive (approximately $20 per pound wholesale price). Each was served as a complete meal with a side salad, bread, starch and vegetable accompaniment. Without ordering any appetizers, it’s safe to say most guests leave full or with a doggy bag for the next day. Our other entrees on the menu range from $17-$21, which is approximately $10 cheaper than these two specials happen to be. I apologize that you don’t agree with the price, but they are expensive items.

In regards to the cooking times, a medium rare rib eye that is a 16oz cut takes approximately 10-12 minutes to cook and then another 7 or 8 minutes to rest to let the juices redistribute. Before the entrees, you would have received bread and salad. We then like to give guests a few minutes to breathe before sending out entrees. The 20-25 minutes it took to have the entrees taken out to your table is pretty standard. Next time if you would like them out faster please let your waitress know and I will not let the steak rest as long. However, this will result in the product not coming out at its maximum potential. I hope you found they were worth the wait and thoroughly enjoyed the meals.

Finally, I can’t apologize enough about you being “greeted awkwardly” and your bag being sat on. If I was you, I would have been displeased with those two things as well. I have already spoken with all the staff and similar situations will certainly be avoided in the future.
We do hope to have you back to our establishment sometime in the future. I hope the food quality which you openly stated was amazing will prove to you that if you come back we are more than a “gin mill.” Although we obviously have a bar, I don’t think it’s fair to call us a “gin mill”.

In closing, we would love to have you back as a customer sometime soon. If you have any questions/concerns, my door is always open and I would love to speak more in detail. I wish you and your husband a Happy New Year.

Kind Regards,
Jerry Dicecco
Chef/Owner: Jerry and The Mermaid
Saint James, New York
“So glad we gave it a try!!!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

After spending a day driving out to Montauk the day after Christmas, we were heading home and decided to check out someplace to eat in Riverhead. I was in the mood for soup and chicken wings. Wow, what a great decision! Jerry and the Mermaid has the most delicious wings I've ever had! The New England clam chowder was the soup of the day and was excellent as well. My daughter had the Buffalo Shrimp which was superb and my husband had a special which was fettucini alfredo with spinach and came with Cajun shrimp on top. We were all so pleased with the meal and the very friendly service, and will definitely be back. I even told them that when any of us heads out to the Tanger outlets we should bring home take-out from Jerry and the Mermaid!!!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Beth C
Monroe, NC
“"Good Choice"”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

While staying at the Hyatt Place Hotel, I chose this restaurant for dinner because it was right next door to the hotel. Comfortable, casual dining at good prices. The Greek salad was fresh and delicious. I ordered the broiled seafood combo (scallops, grouper, baked stuffed clam and shrimp), with steamed vegetables and waffle fries. The meal was served quickly. I have no complaints as nothing was overcooked, everything was seasoned just right and tasty. The service was excellent and the restaurant was clean. A good choice if you are visiting the area.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Classtraveler2011
Mattituck, New York
“Surprisingly good and right next to the hotel”
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

We went to Jerry's because it was so close to our hotel. Definitely not fancy with little that is special in the dining room. The service was very good. As is so common, there wasn't much for a nonmeateater so I went with a Greek salad, not expecting much but it was very good in spite of the unusual carrots and radishes that were included. All the vegetables were fresh and tasty and the dressing was good. My husband had a burger plate and said it was good. It's true I didn't expect much but it was a good choice.

2 Thank Lost_Detroiter