“Overcrowded, overpriced, not enough to do”

Long Island Aquarium
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Long Island Aquarium Admission
Ranked #2 of 30 things to do in Riverhead
More attraction details
Owner description: This FINtastic destination features one of the largest all-living coral reef displays in this hemisphere, a 120,000-gallon shark tank, year-round sea lion shows, African Penguins, Marmosets, numerous touch tanks and more than 100 exhibits including the lavish indoor gardens of our Butterflies, Bugs and Birds Exhibit! This Section features more than 30 species of North American and exotic, tropical free-flying butterflies and is the only insect displays of its kind in New York (and one of the only exhibits like this in the Northeast) featuring bugs ranging from most deadly to largest and most colorful. You can even hand feed the gorgeous conures, ringnecks and lovebirds in our Bird Aviary. We're celebrating our 15th birthday this year and we want you to join the celebration. You'll get FREE Aquarium admission (with valid ID) within 7 days of your birthday!! You can also try one of our JAWsome Aquatic Adventures, like the Shark Dive where you'll get in the cage and down into our amazing Lost City of Atlantis Shark Exhibit. Or the Penguin Encounter where you'll get up close and personal with our cutest feathered friends. You can even snorkel with tropical fish from around the world with our Pirate Snorkel Adventure (seasonal)! There are plenty of special events on the calendar, for guests of all ages. Check our website for a full listing of the great activities you won't want to miss. Like our Family Sleepovers, where you'll explore the Aquarium after hours, then spend the night in front of one of the tanks. Or Fish & Sips, our adults only wine tasting event featuring more than 20 local vineyards with tasting and purchasing opportunities. You can celebrate the holidays with us at our Holiday Brunches for Easter, Mother's Day or to celebrate Christmas with our Santa Brunch. We can also help you host your child's next birthday, we specialize in parties and have a wide range of party packages to offer. Planning a Bar/Bat Mitzvah or Sweet 16? We've got you covered, our Atlantis Banquets & Events team will make your child's special day the party of the year. You can even get married where the walls are alive with our most colorful and tropical exhibits! Named a Top 10 Aquarium for Children by Parents Magazine, the Long Island Aquarium is open daily from10am to 5pm year-round (Closed Christmas & Thanksgiving Days). You can add to the fun with an overnight stay at the waterfront Hyatt Place Long Island / East End and located adjacent to the property.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I've taken my three kids to the Atlantis 3 times since it opened. They have added new attractions each time but it still only takes an hour and a half to see the whole thing, including the sea lion show(which is 10 minutes) The last time we went was during School break in April. We were there when it opened and thank goodness for that. We went through the whole place and ate at their cafe which was jam-packed with people. When we left you could barely move around inside. The marsh area - which I enjoyed on a previous visit was closed at that time. (So maybe in the summer you can spend 2 hours walking around, but I'm sure it's just as crowded.
We actually were able to go to the Aquarium and the Long Island Game Farm in one day. Long Islands best place for a trip is Adventureland, in my opinion.

1  Thank massapequamom
in 6 reviews
"few hours"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed February 12, 2008

I actually enjoy this aquarium. I'm a Long Islander so it is convienent and not as expensive as other aquariums. They continually add on to the aquarium so every time I have gone there has been something new. I really want to try out the shark dive, I think that is a great addition to the aquarium. I only hope they continue to add on since sometimes I feel like I get through it way too fast.

Reviewed February 8, 2008

Atlantis is a growing attraction that keeps me coming back for more. Maybe I'm biased since I am a nature lover, but I find the hard work and care that is put into this aquarium in abundance where ever I look.
The staff are friendly , and always ready with an answer. The setting of the facility is pleasing and clean. Although some parts are under construction (remember I did say they are growing), there is always something new to discover on the grounds.
Whether you take the kids for a snorkel in the mini reef, or take a ride in the glass bottom boat, or even just take in the sea lion show, you won't be disappointed.
There's a touch tank where you can touch skates, and bamboo sharks (the skates have been de-barbed for any worried about getting stuck). You can buy a small supply of food from a nearby cart to feed them as well. A sink on the edge of the pool is provided to wash-up after your experience.
There are electric eels, an octopus, an walking bridge where you can see dog fish, skates, and flounder swimming around. They have a dining area, a virtual submarine, a rescue area for Macaws, a huge shark tank, numerous fish tanks, penguins, a reptile section, wading pond, snow monkey exhibit, and an excavation site for the kids.
Atlantis also offers 'behind the scenes' tours that include rescue area, and grounds. Informative, and fun.
No, this isn't Mystic. But they are just as important, and can give that 'one on one' attention those bigger aquariums can't.
The price is a bit high (remember they are non-profit, and I'll say it again - growing), but that money goes towards medical, rescue efforts, food, education, and upkeep.
I ended up buying a 1-year couples membership for $70 which easily has paid itself off in visits. If your local, and have kids - this is the way to go. If your not - don't be upset over the price too much, it all goes to a great cause.
Like any attraction it will get busy. Try to visit on the weekdays vs. the weekends, otherwise expect he usual crowds.

2  Thank wolf101971
Reviewed January 24, 2008

Due to a "special" that allows you to pay a bit extra to get a one year pass (which I am sure many people do as the one-time rate is very expensive) tthere are often far too many people inside to be able to enjoy the beauty of the fish which is most unfortunate after spending over $100 for 3 adults and 2 children.

They allow any sized strollers inside which are soon abondoned on the bridge or elsewhere and end up blocking everything, especially the ones meant for two or three children. The noise level on days the kids are out of school is horrendous. The screaming children even drowned out the loud speakers so we were never able to hear announcements. Neither parents nor staff reminded them to use "indoor" voices.

If you can't go on a week day when school is in, don't bother.

IMPORTANT: Before you go in you should know that the only way out is through the gift shop full of items meant to entice children. There were three tantrums in there in the time it took us to walk out. (luckily not the kids we were with) I hope the few extra dollars they make is worth all those tantrums and frazzled parents. I prefer to think they lose money. If I had not been FORCED to walk through, I would have probably purchased a souvenier for each the kids.

2  Thank vjb333
See more reviews
Reviewed October 31, 2006

For nature lovers a must. Aside from exhibits on the grounds there's an excursion available aboard The Explorer that lends a hands on tutorial along the way to a small island between the forks . They pick up traps they have set (animal friendly of course) and kids seem to love to see/touch these creatures in this hands on learning environment. Then they stop at island and you explore for shells, footprints etc. Additionally, at the aqauarium itself, you can register in advance for a day with their trained seals or dive in a shark cage in their aquarium. You can even snorkel with the stingrays. The Atlantis Marine Aquarium does a great part of maintaing our shores and safekeeping the wildlife through programs, many of volunteers and your fees paid help. Many animals such as seals are rehabilitated and re-released off the shores of Long Island. Check in advance for some programs are seasonal.