“The aquarium”

and up
Long Island Aquarium Admission
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Riverhead
More attraction details
Owner description: This FINtastic destination features one of the largest all-living coral reef displays in this hemisphere, a 120,000-gallon shark tank, year-round sea lion shows, African Penguins, Marmosets, numerous touch tanks and more than 100 exhibits including the lavish indoor gardens of our Butterflies, Bugs and Birds Exhibit! This Section features more than 30 species of North American and exotic, tropical free-flying butterflies and is the only insect displays of its kind in New York (and one of the only exhibits like this in the Northeast) featuring bugs ranging from most deadly to largest and most colorful. You can even hand feed the gorgeous conures, ringnecks and lovebirds in our Bird Aviary. We're celebrating our 15th birthday this year and we want you to join the celebration. You'll get FREE Aquarium admission (with valid ID) within 7 days of your birthday!! You can also try one of our JAWsome Aquatic Adventures, like the Shark Dive where you'll get in the cage and down into our amazing Lost City of Atlantis Shark Exhibit. Or the Penguin Encounter where you'll get up close and personal with our cutest feathered friends. You can even snorkel with tropical fish from around the world with our Pirate Snorkel Adventure (seasonal)! There are plenty of special events on the calendar, for guests of all ages. Check our website for a full listing of the great activities you won't want to miss. Like our Family Sleepovers, where you'll explore the Aquarium after hours, then spend the night in front of one of the tanks. Or Fish & Sips, our adults only wine tasting event featuring more than 20 local vineyards with tasting and purchasing opportunities. You can celebrate the holidays with us at our Holiday Brunches for Easter, Mother's Day or to celebrate Christmas with our Santa Brunch. We can also help you host your child's next birthday, we specialize in parties and have a wide range of party packages to offer. Planning a Bar/Bat Mitzvah or Sweet 16? We've got you covered, our Atlantis Banquets & Events team will make your child's special day the party of the year. You can even get married where the walls are alive with our most colorful and tropical exhibits! Named a Top 10 Aquarium for Children by Parents Magazine, the Long Island Aquarium is open daily from10am to 5pm year-round (Closed Christmas & Thanksgiving Days). You can add to the fun with an overnight stay at the waterfront Hyatt Place Long Island / East End and located adjacent to the property.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 1, 2013

It was very good. My kids liked it. We liked the show by the sea-lion he was very talented! Would of liked to be there abit longer as we ran out of things to do but overall pretty good, yes.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I just visited with my 9 and 10 year old boys and had a very nice time. The exhibits were nice and clean and we really enjoyed the Rescue Center and information there. They had a few nice critter exhibits with hissing cockroaches and walking sticks that the kids were able to hold. The inside touch tank has stingrays, sharks, and horseshoe crabs and then there is an outside one that you can actually wade around in that has some crabs and horseshoe crabs. We paid the extra $6 to get the submarine simulator ride which the kids liked and $5 each arcade vouchers. It also included another ride that we didn't do. They have a nice African Penguin exhibit and cute Sea Lion Show. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and well cared for everything was. We will probably visit again next year. Also, we found the Scoops ice cream shop to be the best food value there and they accept credit cards!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Great little aquarium packed with things to see and do! I've also been to several private parties and they do a great job!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My brother had his wedding here in April 2013. So this might make this review a little different from others, but it was such a good experience I felt I had to share.
Everything, from the decor to the service to the food, was outstanding. We had toured the aquarium during the day and i was a bit mystified as to how it was going to be transformed into a wedding, but transformed it was. Beautiful, unique and cool, just like the couple themselves.
What truly made it outstanding was the awesome level of service. From the attentive and understanding coordinator, to the bridal attendant (who never left her side) to our server david, who deserves a mention all his own, to the bartenders that had a drink ready for me each time i approached the bar.... kudos. This crew really knows how to throw a party. I can't give it enough stars.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

As a child my mom and I always had season passes to here! I even went to camp here, all the way back when the sea turtle was first put into the tank. I love going to the aquarium and its great to see how much more they have added on to Atlantis. Even though there are outdoor activities if you visit during the colder months there is still plenty to see inside. Be sure to look for the eel and the sea turtle in the shark tank, they seem to be very shy. Also, if you see the octopus out from behind his rock it is a cool sight to see. I have not done any diving with the sharks or whatnot yet, but I definitely plan on visiting a bunch this upcoming summer. Definitely a place that you have to check out if you are visiting, one of the nicest and most entertaining places on Long Island in my opinion.