“Best bang for the buck!”

Long Island Aquarium
Book In Advance
More Info
$29.50*
and up
Long Island Aquarium Admission
Ranked #2 of 30 things to do in Riverhead
More attraction details
Owner description: This FINtastic destination features one of the largest all-living coral reef displays in this hemisphere, a 120,000-gallon shark tank, year-round sea lion shows, African Penguins, Marmosets, numerous touch tanks and more than 100 exhibits including the lavish indoor gardens of our Butterflies, Bugs and Birds Exhibit! This Section features more than 30 species of North American and exotic, tropical free-flying butterflies and is the only insect displays of its kind in New York (and one of the only exhibits like this in the Northeast) featuring bugs ranging from most deadly to largest and most colorful. You can even hand feed the gorgeous conures, ringnecks and lovebirds in our Bird Aviary. We're celebrating our 15th birthday this year and we want you to join the celebration. You'll get FREE Aquarium admission (with valid ID) within 7 days of your birthday!! You can also try one of our JAWsome Aquatic Adventures, like the Shark Dive where you'll get in the cage and down into our amazing Lost City of Atlantis Shark Exhibit. Or the Penguin Encounter where you'll get up close and personal with our cutest feathered friends. You can even snorkel with tropical fish from around the world with our Pirate Snorkel Adventure (seasonal)! There are plenty of special events on the calendar, for guests of all ages. Check our website for a full listing of the great activities you won't want to miss. Like our Family Sleepovers, where you'll explore the Aquarium after hours, then spend the night in front of one of the tanks. Or Fish & Sips, our adults only wine tasting event featuring more than 20 local vineyards with tasting and purchasing opportunities. You can celebrate the holidays with us at our Holiday Brunches for Easter, Mother's Day or to celebrate Christmas with our Santa Brunch. We can also help you host your child's next birthday, we specialize in parties and have a wide range of party packages to offer. Planning a Bar/Bat Mitzvah or Sweet 16? We've got you covered, our Atlantis Banquets & Events team will make your child's special day the party of the year. You can even get married where the walls are alive with our most colorful and tropical exhibits! Named a Top 10 Aquarium for Children by Parents Magazine, the Long Island Aquarium is open daily from10am to 5pm year-round (Closed Christmas & Thanksgiving Days). You can add to the fun with an overnight stay at the waterfront Hyatt Place Long Island / East End and located adjacent to the property.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Kids and grownups all love it. It's a great aquarium and have wonderful shows. This one beats the one in Charleston, SC...and they thought they had the best! Go visit...you'll enjoy!

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"nice place to visit"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently held a surprise 70th birthday party for my dad at the Aquarium which was a huge success. I had it in the Riverfront Room which was transformed into a fun tropical oasis. I had hired a steel drummer who made the party so festive and lively.The staff at the Aquarium were so professional and accommodating as well as the Maitre"d who really made sure everything ran smoothly. Craig Alexander who books the events was a real pro and so personable and friendly he made everything so easy. The food was great and the ice bar was a huge hit with everyone. There were kids at the party and the loved being able to explore the Aquarium and also seeing the Sea Lion Show. I highly recommend this gem on Long Island. Many of my guest said they would come back with their grandchildren or on their own to visit the Aquarium.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

It's no Sea World, but it's the best in the area as far as aquariums go if you're into that sort of thing. Personally, I think it would serve best as a school field trip rather than for entertainment purposes. I think I would have liked it a little better if the tickets were around 15 bucks instead of around $25 with tax. I paid 72 bucks for 2 adults and 1 child to watch some fish swim around in some fish tanks. We could have done that at Petco for free. If I'm going to pay that much, I'm expecting to get on some rides or something. Unfortunately, all of the fun stuff (boat ride, seal show, submarine simulator, discovery tower ride, feed the fish, etc.) costs extra. However, my 5 year old did say she had a good time so I guess that's all that matters.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We bought a family pass for our son's birthday and it was the best thing that we could have done! We go several times a month and it just as fun each time! We can spend hours just drifting through all the exhibits and picnic! We love all the fish and other animals that are there, plus it is educational! My 4 year old has begun to educate me!!! Fun for all ages!

1  Thank hereinthemeantime