“One of the worst experiences I've had in years”

Holiday Inn Express East End
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Boston, MA
“One of the worst experiences I've had in years”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I always judge a hotel by the property and the staff (especially the management). If I have a bad experience at check in or with the cleaning service, I might take a star off the review ... but I hold the management to a much higher standard in terms of guest service. If you take the management out of the picture, this is a 3 star fair property. There are much better options nearby. I prefer the Hilton Garden Inn across the street or the Hotel Indigo (another IHG/Priority Club property) ... in the past I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express more than Hotel Indigo because it was a few dollars less. But no more ... I will not be back.

I am going to write about an incident I had during a snowstorm. I was on the East End and planning to take the Orient Point ferry back to New England when it started snowing. I was pretty tired and felt like it would be worth it to just grab a hotel for the night, watch some tv and relax rather than drive the hour of backroad to get to the ferry in a snowstorm.

I checked into my room, went to the nearby Panera for some dinner and came back to the hotel so I could settle in, lay in bed and ride out the storm with a bottle of Long Island wine, comfy clothes and television. I turned on the television and there was a black screen. I flipped a few channels and it was the same thing.

I called down to the front desk to see if there was a problem with my television and was told, 'Any time there is a storm, our satellite dish doesn't get reception. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' I was floored. The whole point of paying $150 for a night in a hotel was to watch tv and drink wine rather than drive an hour or two in a snow storm. I asked the front desk person if he could comp me some pay movies because it seemed like that was separate from the satellite tv. (The only station that came in was the one advertising the pay movies.) He told me, 'No. I am not authorized to do that.'

Let me get this straight ... your stupid satellite dish goes inopperational with only 4 inches of snow and there is NO television (at 9 p.m.) and you won't even comp me a movie or two? Totally unacceptable. Wired from the day's activities I stayed up until after midnight with nothing but my cell phone to keep me occupied. Relaxing night? Not at all ... have you ever sat in a hotel room bored late at night for 4 or 5 hours with no television? Not fun.

When I checked out, I mentioned this was unacceptable as the ENTIRE reason I had spent $150 to stay at the hotel was to watch tv and ride out the snowstorm. Again, I was told anytime there was a bad snow or rainstorm the satellite tv goes out and they were sorry. I asked to speak to a manager to see if I could get some kind of compensation for a horrible stay due to the tv being out. I was told she wasn't there. She only works certain days. Whaaaat? A the hotel only has a manager on premisis on certain days?

I was told to call the hotel in the next couple days and speak to her. Given my busy schedule, it took a couple days for me to call. On the day I called, she again wasn't in. I was told she is only on property until around 2 or 3 p.m. Okaaaay ... this lady has awesome hours! I tried TWICE more to reach her and was unable. Finally, I told the front desk person to give me her voicemail and I'd leave a message. Two weeks went by with no call back.

I called once more and left another voicemail message describing the situation and leaving my cell phone number. Again, no call back. It is clear that this hotel's manager's priority is NOT guests. No wonder it always seems empty except for weddings when they jack the price up two or three times higher on weekends in the summer and fall.

You need to ask yourself two things ...

1.) Is it worth a few bucks less to stay here than the Hotel Indigo down the street or the nicer Hilton Garden Inn across the way when if there is a snow or rain storm, you may have no tv to watch because their satellite tv is wonky?

2.) Do you want to stay at a place where management is impossible to reach if you have a problem and doesn't return 2 voicemails in order to correct or at the very least apologise for a major issue a guest had at the hotel?

Another thing I hate about this place is they upgrade Platinum members to 'suites' which are basically a standard room with another 50 square feet that have a counter with a fridge and a microwave. That is NOT a suite. Thats a slightly bigger room. Whereas the Hilton Garden Inn across the street gives HHonors Gold or Diamond members a small bottle of wine and free breakfast and upgrades to TRUE suites.

If you are staying here for a wedding, I could understand that. But I won't return as a frequent past guest of this place (mainly because I was a Priority Club/IHG member and didn't think it was worth an extra $20 to stay at the Hotel Indigo at the time) the manager's complete lack of respect for guests in terms of returning their calls and the fact that I like to watch tv at night when I am in an area like Riverhead where things close at 9 p.m. and don't want to have a chance of a black screen if it rains or snows.

When you are running a fair/worn hotel in a place that offers many other nicer options (Hyatt, Hilton Garden Inn, Hotel Indigo, etc.) management 101 says you might want to actually respect your repeat guests or they will leave.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank LovinHotelLife
samm97, Manager at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I am extremely sorry for the issues that you experienced while on our property. This is not how we conduct our business and I would like to speak with you so that I can make this right. I have sent you a message under separate cover with my contact information, please get in touch with me at your earliest convenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Va
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fairly clean but tired. I am very picky about cleanliness because I know hotels can be spotless. If we weren't getting a special wedding price, in my opinion the regular price would be overpriced but they can get it because it is at the beginning of the east end of LI.

One problem is there are no fridges but they do have a coffee pot in the room.

The breakfast is very good.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Annie72,

Thank you for giving our hotel a fair review. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am delighted you found the breakfast served during your stay, highly commendable.

Let me also take this opportunity to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects. Nevertheless, I want to assure you that the points you've raised in this review will be looked into.

Your feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I wasn't disappointed with this stay, it was a true HIE. Very clean, friendly staff, in and out visit. The first room I had was very nice, your classic king, but the toilet would not flush. I was moved to a suite which is a bonus for some, but all the extra furniture in suites freak me out...more breeding ground for germs and cooties. Yes...cooties! Did I mention I'm a germaphobe!?! This is an area that I will have to visit at least a few more times this year,so I'll certainly return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for Long Island's "Jazz on the Vine Festival". The hotel is in a good location. We were just a few miles from the wineries! And boy do they have plenty! The rooms and bathroom were very clean. Our rooms were clean when we came back in the evening. Staff are very friendly and helpful. They also have a great breakfast from 6-11 am. Not just donuts and coffee! We are definitely staying here next year for the festival.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Kelly F
Indian Lake NY
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Very attractive, clean and well located for a business or leisure visit to the East End of Long Island. Just a short drive to either the North or South Fork of Long Island. Visit the Vineyards and quaint towns of the North Fork or the beaches of the South Fork. Hotel was very well maintained with a hot, complementary breakfast each morning. Twice, I did find that the complementary coffee was not warm, but once the staff was alerted, the cold coffee was replaced. My visit was during the winter months and the fireplace in the great room for breakfast and in the evening were a nice extra touch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2012

A bunch of friends and I went to a North Fork wine party last weekend and we stayed over on Saturday night. The room went for $169 a night and they tried to bump us up to $199 and $299 respectively. This is not a $199 a night hotel and I think the $169 was way overpriced for what you get. The rooms are large at least mine was, clean, however the rugs really need cleaning especially the hallways. Beige dirty rugs in a hotel are not nice to look at. The rooms are beige also, a nice large tv with plenty of channels. I slept well. My one problem was there was a nice common room with a tv and fireplace. My friends and I wanted to come back to the hotel and get a take out dinner or pizza and sit by the fire but no go as they had closed the room for a private party. Since it is a common area they did not have the right to rent the room out to a private party. Which they did. We would have like to enjoy it also for $169.

All in all the hotel is $50 too much for what you get. The breakfast is good if you just want coffee, banana and yogurt or a bagel. You are down the street from Tangers Outlets so it is a nice hop there from the hotel. $10 for a cab then the Jitney back to the city. The hotel staff is very friendly and the 2 women on the night shift and morning shift were especially helpful. Holiday Inn if you read this you really need to give those two women a raise. and clean you rugs. Nasty. There are not many hotels in the area so you are kind of stuck here or the Hyatt. Would I stay here again, maybe if I was going shopping but skip the wine. Worst wine ever.

Room Tip: I had room 213 a handicapped room. Shower was really strange, (a padded seat) but room extra wide a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
arlington
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Looks nice from the outside but the rooms are smelly and are beginning to look worn. The breakfast bacon and biscuits and raisin bran were not palatable. Just an average place to stay. Please fix the smell coming from rooms! Maybe it's time for new rugs?

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank arlingtonmei
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
#4 of 12 in Hampton Bays
The Hamlet Inn
The Hamlet Inn
#2 of 8 in Southampton

Been to Holiday Inn Express East End? Share your experiences!