“Who Knew??”

Holiday Inn Express East End
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Who knew a Holiday Inn Express could be so comfortable, so clean, and have a staff that could rival any "luxury" hotel in terms of customer service? Every year, Matt & I take a long Easter weekend and try someplace new. This year it was eastern Long Island. A lot of the quaint bed & breakfasts were not yet open for the season, so we gave this a try. I would go back there in a heartbeat!! I requested a bottle of champagne be waiting when I reserved our room and totally forgot about it until I walked in! Our room was very clean (nice touch with the breadspread free rooms, HIE!!), comfotable and roomy. The continential breakfast every morning was good, and surprisingly, the coffee was pretty good too! The shower was GREAT, nice water pressure, plenty of hot water, soft towels, etc. Also, HIE encourages a "green" environment by requesting patrons who stay longer than one night to reuse their sheets and towels.

Although this hotel is not in a "quaint" setting, it is set right at the beginning of the Northern and Southern forks of the island, which make exploring both sides (both extremely different) of the island very convenient. Go north for the farmlands and vineyards, so south for the quaint villiages and of course the playground of the rich & famous.

We will be back to Riverhead, and you will find us staying here at the Holiday Inn Express....

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 18, 2008

My friends and I were thinking of going to check out the wineries of the NorthFork area of Long Island for the weekend. I did the research on the B&Bs, hotels, Inns and found that Holiday Inn Express had the right price and location. I also liked that we weren't tied to the 2 nights minimum that most B&B's required. The location is right off of exit 73 - on 495, very easy to find. Not the most scenic of locations - but you have the Tanger Outlet center right around the corner so that was also a plus if you want to shop and enjoy the wineries.

I'd booked the King Suite but turns out that they had no more left so they gave us a discount and set us up in the Double Queen Suite. I always pictured "suites" to be separate living room and bedroom but their version of 'suites' are more studio suites - where you have more space with a sitting area (sofa n coffee table area ) with a little counter space for coffee, microwave, kitchen sink and mini refrigerator. All handy and good to have in general but a regular room costing $20 less may be just as sufficient depending on your needs.

The beds were clean - loved their new policy of taking away the bedspreads. I always feel hotel bedspreads are unwashed and a little scary.. Bathroom had nice countertop, good shower, nice floor tiles. all looked very clean. The image I had of Holiday Inns as a child is completely gone. This could've been the Sheraton or the Hilton and I wouldn't have known the difference in quality. I booked directly with the Holiday Inn's website (/www.ichotelsgroup.com - which I didn't find all that informative about the hotel - so found TripAdvisor to be very helpful).

The continental breakfast was as expected but I liked that they had fresh fruits(apples/Oranges) and mini yogurts. And the dining space was airy with high ceilings. Not much of a view outside - except parking lots and main street full of retail/strip mall but if you drive about a mile off, you hit all the countryside scenes and the wineries so was no issue for us.

All in all a nice stay. Both couples (my friends and us) were all very pleased with the hotel.
Will recommend to others.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Stayed here for a wedding for two nights over Columbus Day weekend. Staff was friendly and considerate.

Room was large - we had a king bed. HVAC unit somewhat loud.

Bed had duvet instead of bedspread. Towels were supposedly larger than normal - but they weren't bath sheets - I guess just larger bath towels.

Shower curtain rod was the arc kind - love it.

Toiletries had flip-top lids - I hate fumbling with the caps to shampoo bottles.

Breakfast is included in the room rate and consisted of self-serve fresh fruit (apple & bananas), yogurt, pastries, cereal, cinnamon rolls, fruit juice, coffee, tea & hot chocolate.

Fitness center had two treadmills, couple of stair masters and a weight tower. Two TVs too.

No pool.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Brides, do not use this hotel for your wedding guests! I booked a block of hotel rooms for my wedding guests - this proved to be the most aggravating aspect of my wedding planning. Here is a list of the problems I experienced with the horrible hotel staff: (1) I will list the final straw first: the hotel did not distribute my gift bags to my guests. Time and money were spent putting these wedding gift bags together and none of my guests received them. I was assured by the manager that my guests would receive them when they checked in. I returned to the hotel several days after my guests had been there, and the gift bags were sitting behind the reception desk. (2) The trouble initially began when I booked a block of rooms for my wedding guests. Each time my guests called to reserve a room, the front desk personnel would tell them that there were no rooms available. Then I would have to call and remind them of my wedding block of rooms. I called 9-10 times to help my guests get the rooms I had reserved. (3) The mangager never returned my phone calls regarding this problem. I left her 4 voice messages. When I finally did get her on the phone and asked why she did not respond to my messages, she told me that she must have "lost the sticky note."
(4) To try to make me feel better, the manager told me that 3 of the employees that had been causing the confusion over my guests' rooms had been fired. When I went to the hotel the following week to drop off the gift bags, these employees were still working behind the front desk. I cannot express the frustration and anger caused by this hotel. While the hotel itself may seem suitable, dealing with this inconsiderate and incompetent staff is just not worth it. I highly recommend that anyone considering it explore another option.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank DearPrudence
JaralTina, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2008

The Holiday Inn Express East End caters to a wide variety of corporate and leisure travelers. It is not been our experience to receive comments from a group as the one above. We have a gift bag system in place so any guest checking in with a wedding will receive their specified gift bag. It is our policy to give the gift bag at check in and we are normally told to give one per room. If one per person are supposed to be given but this is not told to the desk; a mistake like the one above could happen. Bags could be leftover from guests that cancelled a room or were a no show. We take every comment very seriously and strive to provide outstanding guest service. Recently we received the “2008 Best Business in Riverhead award given by the Riverhead Chamber of Commerce. I would like to offer an invitation to invite you back to give us a second chance to prove this was not the experience we strive for.

Reviewed July 30, 2007

If you look at my tripadvisor reviews, you'll see that I stay at quite a few Four Seasons etc properties on my travels. Trust me, then, when I say that this is a superb budget property which actually has better rooms than some InterContinental, Hilton etc properties I've stayed at.

The hotel is brand new and quite attractive, with a real fire in the main breakfast room. There is a fitness centre and, more impressively, a 24 hour business centre with 2 PC's offering free internet access. Breakfast was the standard US HIE fare, which was not much different to the breakfast I'd eaten in the Waldorf-Astoria lounge on the previous 3 mornings.

Our suite was huge. Most impressive was the quality of the decoration, which is very tasteful in both the rooms and corridors. Decent bathroom with bottled (not dispenser) toiletries, plus a sofa-bed, microwave, fridge etc. TV was not a flat-screen which was the only surprise given that this place is brand new. No restaurant as you'd expect from a HIE but numerous local options within a few minutes drive. No bar but they sell beer and wine from a chiller in the breakfast room in the evening, and Priority Club members (Platinum, not sure about others) get a voucher for a free drink.

You really cannot go wrong here - you're getting a brand new property, tastefully decorated with large rooms. It is also the nearest hotel to the Tanger Outlets centre in Riverhead (literally 60 seconds drive) and a cheap base for the Hamptons. If future HIE properties are built to this standard then they will start taking serious chunks of business away from the mid-market chains - I would happily have stayed here for much longer.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robert B
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I am a Hilton HHonors Diamond level program member. This Holiday Inn was the closest to where I needed to be, so I stayed in Riverhead,NY with Holiday Inn. I must say this location gave Hilton a run for their money. The front office manager (Kathy I believe was her name) literally bent over backwards to fulfill all my request, even though she was very busy with a large number of wedding party hotel guests. The rest of the staff were also a pleasure to deal with as well as knowledgeable of their job and efficient (a rare commodity these days!) in customer service. 'Wow! Fantastic!' is all I can say about the staff! The hotel was in pristine condition. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and in working order. The overall atmosphere was pleasant. I was very satisfied with my stay and will gladly stay there again over the local Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank BexUSA
Reviewed March 24, 2007

I stay at many Holiday Inn Express hotels for business trips, and I find that they can vary greatly in their quality. Most have upgraded to the new Stay Smart bedding and bathroom features, but I still feel that some hotels are better than others. The Holiday Inn Express East End in Riverhead, NY is a prime example of one that stands out from the crowd.

Located at the very tip of Long Island, this is a great choice if you're visiting the Hampton beaches, wineries, or for business reasons. The hotel is located on a very busy street across from a small shopping center. Check-in was swift and I was upgraded to a small suite becuase I am a Platinum member of Priority Club. The room seemed very new, and was spotless, just like the whole hotel. The room had an extremely comfortable bed, work desk with Hi-speed internet (there's also wireless), modern flat screen TV, and a separate sitting area with couch and table. The room also had a small refridgerator and sink area. I have to stay the bed and sheets and pillows were awsome, much better than most Holiday Inn Express hotels. The bathroom was clean, modern, and felt like one you'd find more in a Hyatt or Renessiance hotel.
One thing I really liked was the digital thermostat that actually worked and kept the room quiet and comfortable.

In the morning there was the traditional HI Express Smart Start breakfast, which was okay. I still think Hampton Inn's breakfast bar's are a bit nicer, but this one had all of the basics. The room for the breakfast is cozy with a small fireplace and some nice couches.

All in all, this is a great hotel, good location, and I would stay here again. IF there is one downside, it is a bit expensive for the average HI Express, but then again, this is Long Island, and it is close to the Hampton's, so I guess it is in line with everything else!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank ChewInRI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
The Hamlet Inn
The Hamlet Inn
#2 of 8 in Southampton
SpringHill Suites Long Island Brookhaven

Been to Holiday Inn Express East End? Share your experiences!