“Vineyard was out of sight”

Martha Clara Vineyards
Ranked #4 of 29 things to do in Riverhead
New York, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Vineyard was out of sight”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was excited to visit Martha Clara Vineyards but was very disappointed to find that their grape vines are not visible from the seating area. I loved the wall art in the tasting room, they have floor to ceiling vintage movie posters and the wood paneling throughout the tasting area gives the place a nice rustic feel. The wine was great, I really enjoyed the sparkling brut and their (Solstice) dry rose. They have about four flight tasting options and if you happen to shop at the Tanger outlets beforehand you can score a free tasting coupon from the $5 Tanger coupon book. I thought was a pretty cool deal.

Visited August 2013

“Horrible event management!!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Six of us in a limo were denied entry because we choose to be responsible and not drive while having a day of wine tasting. THEY wouldn't even allow the limo to drop us off and enter!!! The security guard was the rudest person I have ever met!! He should not be around customers. I will never buy your wines ever and will tell everyone I know to not buy it either.

USA
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Huge Disappointment - complete chaos”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

A complete and utter ZOO! Stay away. Like a busy college bar scene. Harried, disinterested, unknowledgeable staff totally unprepared to talk about the wine. Rigid to only pouring what's listed in the flight, no exceptions. Under poured tasting samples. Unimpressive wines. Will never return. If you’re looking for the experience of tasting and learning about the wine, this is NOT the place to go.

2 Thank teezeeUsa
West Islip
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Wine release "party" was a dud ... sorry Martha Clara”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that I love being a member of Martha Clara Vineyards. They have excellent wines, their staff is always friendly and accommodating, and they almost always have great entertainment. Another plus is that they are family and pet friendly. I am currently in my second year of membership at MC, and last night was the first "Wine Release Party" that I attended. That, my friends, was not a party. When I think of party, I think of music, food and fun. The wine was great - but I didn't drive in over an hour's worth of rush hour traffic to sit out in the chilly night (wasn't expecting it to be outdoors) for a meager bowl of food and 3 tastings of wine - I could have had that and more in my comfy home! I thought there'd be dancing ... revelry .... entertainment! Maybe next time the party planners can put a little more effort in planning a PARTY. Here's my final thought - we are your MEMBERS. We spend lots of money at your winery... so once a year you can give back and say thank you to us by throwing a proper party. You have party rooms - hire a DJ next time ... pass finger foods ...cut up a few wedges of cheese .... if you're going to offer us a party -- give us a party! Thanks for listening.

1 Thank beepsy
Connecticut
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Poor customer service; unwilling to bend”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We spent the Labor Day holiday visiting wineries on Long Island. Of the 23 vineyards we visited, ALL were willing to accommodate special tastes or interests in particular wines, except one. This one. I can't say whether the wine was any good or not, but we were interested in the white flight and asked to swap out one of the whites for a red wine. (both red and white flights were the same price, same number of wines, and same prices for the wines.) The girl said absolutely not. Every time we asked another vineyard, they said "absolutely" or "we can work something out"; one vineyard did say they'd do it, but if it had been a Saturday, probably not. We turned around and walked out and the girl never said another word to us. I read all the reviews posted here, and I can say, this is one place I'm unlikely to return to. There are far too many other vineyards in Long Island that are well worth your time. This is not one of them. While I understand the pricing and the concept of flights, it's not like we were swapping out a table wine for a top shelf/reserve vintage. The net result is, I won't go back, and others might not visit your winery because of this review. I hope that sticking to your policy was worth it.

1 Thank dafos27